• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

“De-Farbing” a Traditions Percussion Hawken Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is your opinion.

I am wondering why you have not posted any books that you do like.
Yes it is my opinion and I am entitled to it ,
No one has asked me but if you must know The Gunsmith of Grenville County by Peter Alexander is my go to book , The series of gunmakers Manuals by Kit Ravenshear are very useful as well . I also like Recreating the American Long Rifle , by Buchele, Shumway and Alexander . A very useful book called Gunsmithing Tips and Projects, I also have 4 reference books by Shumway and a stack of others on Brown Bess , American fowlers , British military rifles , Carolina rifles ,Trade guns , Hudson Bay Trade guns ,Trade rifles powder horns ,Hunting pouches .etc etc > I think I should sort them out and put them in one place in my library . Oh yes I almost forgot Black Powder Rifle Accuracy , something every one should own

Do you have the publication ?
If so please explain its virtues.

I have owned it. It is entry level for beginners that are assembling kits.

Experienced gunsmiths will want more advanced books. If you are already able to name all of the gunsmith's from the golden age of the American Longrifle, 1785-1815, and can identify their rifles just from the personal style of their craftmanship. Then this beginner's book is very much not for you.

Last edited:
Walker's book, "Black Powder Gunsmithing" was published in 1978. At that time there were many production kits being sold. The level of instruction supplied with the kits was barely sufficient to assemble the kit and have a rifle safe enough to fire. Walker's book gave more instructions on wood removal, metal fitting and finishing than normally found with the kits. There was no internet to give instruction. I learned how to heat bend a hammer to align the nose of the hammer to the nipple on my CVA Mountain Rifle. I've posted those instructions a time or two on this Forum. I built a number of tools and accessories from instructions in the book. The instructions were simpler to understand than the build from a plank books that I now rely on.

The price from Amazon is way too high now, forty years later there are several good videos and other tutorials on the net.

I understand the desire to remove all the ugly stampings and engravings from a modern replica. These can be removed, but I would leave the serial number and proof stampings. Perhaps some maker's identification or date of assembly in a place not readily visible. I would hate to see a replica being passed off as an antique. Most of the defarbing will not make the item look like an original. I see the defarbing for reenactors who want to have the most accurate representation of their equipment for the reenactment. I know because I try. My Long Land Pattern Musket (made in India) has British markings. Once one gets close enough, it can be seen that the barrel walls are too thick, the wood is not English walnut and a few other details, but at 10 yards the musket can pass.

We tend to think way too much about what my rifle looks like and not enough about what my gun would have looked in the time period it was in daily use.

I have owned it. It is entry level for beginners that are assembling kits.

Experienced gunsmiths will want more advanced books. If you are already able to name all of the gunsmith's from the golden age of the American Longrifle, 1785-1815, and can identify their rifles just from the personal style of their craftmanship. Then this beginner's book is very much not for you.

Agreed Fadalas book was intended for beginners, but never the less contained some valid information too often overlooked by even experienced players, in my earlier post I mentioned it in the context of cleaning ML's after firing.

Latest posts

Back