• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

‘Master of Castles’ wheellock pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Muzzleloaders are often the canvas an artist uses to tell a story. This ornate wheel lock muzzleloading pistol is no exception. Attributed to the "Master of Castles", an elusive artist or group of artists working during the 16th-17th centuries, this muzzleloader tells the story of a hunter and his dogs hunting for game.

This incredible muzzle loader has countless bone and pearl inlays, all meticulously inscribed to show extreme detail, the kind of detail we expect from artists in the late 19th century.

Hi Ethan,
These were wonderful arms and it should not be surprising because at the time, firearms became gifts of choice among royalty replacing suits of armor and even swords. Some of the finest decorative arts applied at the time were to firearms. There was another famous possible group called "Meister der Tierkopfranke", which translates to "Master of Animal Head Scrolls". They were all likely gunstock decorators but did not make the barrels or locks. They also probably did not even rough out the stocks. These were the artists or the owners of shops that hired rough stockers and then did the decorative work. My favorite of all time is Hieronymous Borstorffer of Munich.
Thanks for sharing the video.
dave

Hi Ethan,
These were wonderful arms and it should not be surprising because at the time, firearms became gifts of choice among royalty replacing suits of armor and even swords. Some of the finest decorative arts applied at the time were to firearms. There was another famous possible group called "Meister der Tierkopfranke", which translates to "Master of Animal Head Scrolls". They were all likely gunstock decorators but did not make the barrels or locks. They also probably did not even rough out the stocks. These were the artists or the owners of shops that hired rough stockers and then did the decorative work. My favorite of all time is Hieronymous Borstorffer of Munich.
Thanks for sharing the video.
dave
Thanks Dave! I can’t wait to look up this other group of masters. I love being a modern artist, but the work of these historic masters will always amaze me. They did so much with much less than we have today. Thank you again for the information, you are fueling more exciting research, thanks for watching.

Hi Ethan,
There are some of us who try to emulate these great guns. The artistry is not dead or gone.
eb4ZOxl.jpg

fo4BUvw.jpg

yipekOT.jpg

VYtjE7J.jpg

QjH4mfs.jpg

HNOJusU.jpg

dave

Pukka Bundook does exellent work & I do that sort of stuff Ime particularly ,big on dragons they don't get you any extra nines or tens but I love em anyway. Iv'e been E machine less but have a new one now but it cant spell any better than the last one .
Regards Rudyard

Muzzleloaders are often the canvas an artist uses to tell a story. This ornate wheel lock muzzleloading pistol is no exception. Attributed to the "Master of Castles", an elusive artist or group of artists working during the 16th-17th centuries, this muzzleloader tells the story of a hunter and his dogs hunting for game.

This incredible muzzle loader has countless bone and pearl inlays, all meticulously inscribed to show extreme detail, the kind of detail we expect from artists in the late 19th century.

I'm a mite confused here, folks, maybe it's my age or sump'n.

'late 19th century?'

It has already been determined that the pistol was made during the late 16th - early 17th centuries.

Hi Ethan,
There are some of us who try to emulate these great guns. The artistry is not dead or gone.
eb4ZOxl.jpg

fo4BUvw.jpg

yipekOT.jpg

VYtjE7J.jpg

QjH4mfs.jpg

HNOJusU.jpg

dave

Beautiful work, Dave, as always, and a genuine heart-warming pleasure to examine in detail. Please look at your PM, where I've sent you some pics and, I hope, a link.

While not sure about the late 19th I don't doubt it ,skill is skill in all ages , We are more early 21 st C , dosn't preclude the skilled though it is some what out of the common line as decoration goes .Its a world away from' bank note' stuff but its rustic charm is I think very appealing and seemingly they thought so too .
Regards Rudyard

Latest posts

Back