• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

¿ Help with Jim Kibler SMR kit ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a Jim Kibler SMR blem kit. Being honest, to do the kit justice, it is above my skill level. That is just the way it is, I'm getting a Traditions Frontier kit just to practice on and if it ends up buggered up, no tears. With that said, I'm willing to pay someone that has the skills to complete it for me. I don't want any carvings. No inlays. Nothing fancy. Just straight SMR.

Are there members out there that do this? Is this the correct forum to request this help or another?

Wganz,
A Kibler is far easier to assemble than any Traditions kit. If you can operate a small chisel, a screwdriver, and some files and sandpaper, you can assemble a Kibler, and make a fine, authentic Southern rifle.

I had never worked with wood until I started this kit and I think it turned out good.
Have you watched Jim’s videos?

Attachments

• F4234A3F-C763-470A-A075-8AB4A1546DB8.jpeg
    F4234A3F-C763-470A-A075-8AB4A1546DB8.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • DDBAC786-DD20-4149-BF06-293DB1575C49.jpeg
    DDBAC786-DD20-4149-BF06-293DB1575C49.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
It is not difficult. You can read and follow the instructions, and watch Jim's videos. If you really don't want to after all, Jim will have his people assemble it for a fee.

The only part that is p[problematic is the long tang and damaging it or the stock.

A big risk is sending it through the mail. Damage is becoming very common.

Good luck

I am to wood working what a certain politician is to politics,
"Never underestimate his ability to screw things up."
I'll revisit this on his next batch of blems. By then, should have a couple of traditions kits done by then.

If push comes to shove, I can always load up the Toyota and drive up to Ohio before it starts snowing. Come back that way once its gone. That way Mr. UPS crunch man doesn't get a shot at it.

Being honest about your ability is a good thing. Having taught crafty stuff for years I found it is a rare person that can make things easily without going through a learning curve to learn the ins and outs of putting something together. Practicing on the Traditions kit first is a good move.

All of my students that royally screwed things up all got in a hurry and reached for something that cut faster. I have found in my gun building, if I lose focus and start getting sloppy, I put down my tools, walk away and come back the next day. Some days, when my heart just isn't in it, I don't try to force myself out to the shop.

The most important thing; if you own a Dremel tool lock it up where you can't get at it, if you are not very skilled at using one on wood it will screw things up faster than you can blink your eyes.

Here is an example; My nephew, who has never inletted anything, used a Dremel for this patch box inletting on his GPR. The bit got away from him and produced this mess. In the picture I had already redone the back part of the inlet

wes patchbox mess.JPG

After a week of gluing in pieces and re-inletting everything I came up with this;

wes patch box done inletting.JPG

The most important thing; if you own a Dremel tool lock it up where you can't get at it, if you are not very skilled at using one on wood it will screw things up faster than you can blink your eyes.

Here is an example; <SNIP/>
It is my opinion that every Dremel tool should be registered with the ATF and the serf tax stamp of $200 paid since they're obviously a 'Destructive Device' just like a hand grenade or Molotov cocktail.

I use my Dremel tool a lot for inletting. The key is to run it slow and do not use router like bits. They are impossible to control when hand held. Instead use the diamond abrasive bits from Harbor Freight. They cut slow and clean. For cutting small radius inlets the results are excellent. It does take practice. The only time I use steel cutters is in the milling machine.

This has nothing to do with a OP's Kibler kit. All you will need is a couple of small chisels and a rasp for the butplate. 99.9% of the inletting is prefect as you get it. There are a few places with tiny radiused that should be squared up. I ease the SMR tang fit with a scraper. That is about it.

If you can make a wood model airplane you can do this and have the tools already.

I use a Dremel on finishing up inletting of locks and patchboxes for deeper and smoother surface to the inside cuts. I would not go near the gun with it unless I have it in the two-handed grip routing attachment though. With that I can get good control with practice even with the small router bits available. Here is mine in the router that I have. They also have a plunge type that I plan to get soon.

Attachments

• IMG_2304.JPG
    IMG_2304.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 0
Being honest about your ability is a good thing. Having taught crafty stuff for years I found it is a rare person that can make things easily without going through a learning curve to learn the ins and outs of putting something together. Practicing on the Traditions kit first is a good move.

All of my students that royally screwed things up all got in a hurry and reached for something that cut faster. I have found in my gun building, if I lose focus and start getting sloppy, I put down my tools, walk away and come back the next day. Some days, when my heart just isn't in it, I don't try to force myself out to the shop.

Here is an example; My nephew, who has never inletted anything, used a Dremel for this patch box inletting on his GPR. The bit got away from him and produced this mess. In the picture I had already redone the back part of the inlet

View attachment 162794

After a week of gluing in pieces and re-inletting everything I came up with this;

View attachment 162795
Holy fix batman! Very nice save.

Dremel? This makes me wanna swear just no no know no no no
You see a pattern here no no no no
Buy some very good chisels swiss
No no no!
No dremmel! No

I'm looking at getting a Jim Kibler SMR blem kit. Being honest, to do the kit justice, it is above my skill level. That is just the way it is, I'm getting a Traditions Frontier kit just to practice on and if it ends up buggered up, no tears. With that said, I'm willing to pay someone that has the skills to complete it for me. I don't want any carvings. No inlays. Nothing fancy. Just straight SMR.

Are there members out there that do this? Is this the correct forum to request this help or another?

I just started my Kibler SMR kit build today and got the barrel fitted to the stock which took me about three hours. Please keep in mind I was in no hurry and have Parkinson, so even a small amount of progress takes me much longer than most other people because I have to set up my work differently and plan ahead more. My previous experience with kit builds is two Traditions kits (prior to Parky DX). One was a Shenandoah full-length stock and the other was a short stock Blunderbuss. The Shenandoah was a gunsmith special that required a lot of correcting of the inletting, barrel channel, and butt plate was a mess, but I was able to finish it and I think it turned out pretty good considering. My first impression of the Traditions kit to a Kibler SMR is like comparing a beat-up 72 Volkswagon bug to a new Porsche. The Traditions will be a lot more work than the Kibler, but it will be worthwhile for you as a new builder. I learned a lot from both Traditions kits and I think they are nice guns, but they fall short of Kibler quality. I too bought one of the Kibler quick-sell blem kits and couldn't be happier with my choice. A few simple carver chisels and a way to hold the gunstock without damaging it will get you started.

Back