• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

£5 million to cut the arms of the 42nd Foot in 1759?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frasers78th

32 Cal
Reaction score
On 14 March 1759, the 42nd Foot paid "sundry blacksmiths" £48.13.0 to cut short the regimental arms of those serving in North America. One currency convertor from The National Archives, UK suggests a cost of about £5 million in 2017 money, which I find rather excessive.

What do you think?

Regards,
Jeff

Arms.jpg

2017 cost.PNG

Isn't that "four thousand nine hundred eighty four" pounds and change"?
Thank you, LongWalker, for pointing out exactly how ignorant I can be. I knew £5 million sounded rather excessive. :doh:

Now, to go see about a new prescription from my optometrist.

Regards,
Jeff

On 14 March 1759, the 42nd Foot paid "sundry blacksmiths" £48.13.0 to cut short the regimental arms of those serving in North America. One currency convertor from The National Archives, UK suggests a cost of about £5 million in 2017 money, which I find rather excessive.

What do you think?

Regards,
Jeff

View attachment 94228

View attachment 94229
Nah! Conversion schmersion, I don't think they spent that amount at the time.

Agreed. I read incorrectly.

It looks as though the regiment spent just under £5 thousand in 2017 money. And considering the work involved shortening perhaps over 1000 rifles, well, that's not a bad rate.

Regards,

Agreed. I read incorrectly.

It looks as though the regiment spent just under £5 thousand in 2017 money. And considering the work involved shortening perhaps over 1000 rifles, well, that's not a bad rate.

Regards,
Imagine how much it would cost via today's military contracting system! It would actually BE 5 million!

While transcribing this accounting book, I just found another entry (March 1759) for shortening 24 firelocks at a cost of £2.2s, or 1s.9d each. In 2017 money, that is approximately £8.97 per unit, which is much more reasonable - any probably considered very cheap labor by today's standards. But I do agree with you at the outrageous rates the military pays today! It also looks as though there was a currency exchange rate commission paid of 3s.3d.

I do not know much about the firelocks of the French and Indian Wars; that if they had a front/forward sight and were shortened, what became of the sight?

Regards,
Jeff

24 firelocks.jpg

Latest posts

Back