• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

“De-Farbing” a Traditions Percussion Hawken Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The barrel is that bad inside.
You can have it relined to .45 again instead of bored larger, it will just cost more.
Believe if you check with folks reboring and relining barrels they will not work on CVA/Tradition drum style guns because of the design of the breech plug, drum and barrel.
A friend graciously gave me a partially complete Traditions Hawken rifle kit
There is usually a premium associated with bringing a gifted gun back to life.

I have this book , I just checked the price on Amazon and am going to put it in my safe
I have that same book, (Black Powder Gunsmithing). The Amazon price of $296 plus shipping is crazy. You can get a copy from eBay for $20-30.

SDSmlf you are correct & I knew that, just a senior moment thanks for reminding us. I have a CVA left hand barrel with a bulge that needs work and no place to send it.

Afternoon all,
First, I am new to the world of muzzleloaders, so please let me know if this should go somewhere else.

A friend graciously gave me a partially complete Traditions Hawken rifle kit. I’d love to actually get it close to resembling a piece from the 1840s/50s.

Number one for me right now is the barrel. It currently has a bright, almost stainless finish to it, and the modern markings on it. Any recommendations for how to best remove those markings? They aren’t stamped, so I’m thinking a dremel might work. As for the barrel finish, I’d prefer to bring it down to more of an “armory bright” or at least not as modern looking, and I don’t know how to go about that.

Thanks in advance,

Finn
I use the round handle of a socket wrench and with some force, move it like you are draw filing. The hard, round ‘tool’ forces the material back into the places it came from when it was ‘engraved’. Then with fine emery paper wrapped around a flat file, smooth/polish it out. Then, blue or brown or polish as you see fit.

One gunmaker I know uses a solder flux liquid called Duzall , the barrels come up with a beautifully brown / aged look . Unfortunately it seems to no longer be available . I wonder if other solder flux liquids would do ?

Believe if you check with folks reboring and relining barrels they will not work on CVA/Tradition drum style guns because of the design of the breech plug, drum and barrel.

That’s why it’s more or less a test bed for future wood/metal working skills unless I find someone parting out a Traditions/CVA kit for relatively cheap. I’d rather build a better kit gun personally.
I've never seen or used Naval Jelly although I've browned plenty of barrels, any advice is welcome.

Its usually in the paint prep section of the ward ware store. Tiny little bottles compared to what it usually is next to. Naval Jelly is a Loctite product.

That’s why it’s more or less a test bed for future wood/metal working skills unless I find someone parting out a Traditions/CVA kit for relatively cheap. I’d rather build a better kit gun personally.

Its usually in the paint prep section of the ward ware store. Tiny little bottles compared to what it usually is next to. Naval Jelly is a Loctite product.

Thank you sir, I've been looking for an uncomplicated application for greying Barrels rather then blueing or rusting them.
Whats your advice on application ?

Thank you sir, I've been looking for an uncomplicated application for greying Barrels rather then blueing or rusting them.
Whats your advice on application ?

It’s not complicated at all luckily. Slather it onto the metal, let it sit for a few minutes, then rinse it off and immediately oil afterwards. Sometimes you have to repeat the process a few times if the surface wasn’t properly degreased.

Now thats what I call practical and easy, thanks for your advice.

Don’t quote me but I think the big thing about Naval Jelly is it has phosphoric acid in it which gives the gray metal finish afterwards. If you can’t get Loctite’s Naval Jelly where you’re at, just look for a rust remover/converter that contains phosphoric acid.:thumb:

I have that same book, (Black Powder Gunsmithing). The Amazon price of $296 plus shipping is crazy. You can get a copy from eBay for $20-30.

You are seeing the price of new old stock posted on Amazon by a scalper who thinks that anything old is collectable.

Amazon also has used copies from book dealers for $20 to $40.

Back