• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Williamsburg Gunsmith DVD

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Many years ago I had a VHS tape called “The Gunsmith of Williamsburg” which showed Wallace Gussler, the master gunsmith at Colonial Williamsburg, making a flintlock rifle from scratch. I saw the rifle on display at the gunsmith shop and it is a gorgeous piece. I wore out that tape and couldn’t find another. Finally, last year Colonial Williamsburg got smart and released it on DVD. It’s a decent transfer especially when you consider that the original was from 1969.

I am mechanically challenged, to put it mildly, and will never build anything more complicated than a fully inletted kit. So it was fascinating to see someone start with a plank of wood, an iron bar, and some brass and turn them into a beautiful rifle. The narrator is David Brinkley (God, do I miss his news reports) with that Brinkley cadence that keeps your interest.

It shows forging the barrel, rifling and finishing it, casting and fitting the brass parts, tempering the springs used in the lock, shaping and finishing the stock, proofing the barrel, and much more.

The DVD isn’t just a how-to piece, it also mentions that this is hard work that takes weeks of time to complete. For people who never work with their hands and think computer speeds are the norm, this is an eye opener.

The DVD is available from the online Colonial Williamsburg store. I got my copy from Amazon to avoid the shipping charges.

Just in case anyone is interested.

Jeff

I watched that film (35mm) in high school around 1971. Found it at Williamsburg in VHS a few years ago. Now available in DVD.

Technology keeps changing but it's nice to know there are still some folks who can make guns the old way.

GW

I found the second half of the video on youtube so you can get a feel for what it is like before you buy it. It does look like an interesting video.

I saw it in the 70s on a visit to Williamsburg...It is one of the things that pushed me to tackle making a flintlock myself...

i don't think anyone will ever make a better version of how to build than that with Wallace Gusler. i have been a good friends with Wallace and Liza for for about 20 years, my ole friend John Bivins introduced me to them. I spent 3 months there on one visit at which time we had the Movie rifle there, I studied it every day what a rifle. Over the years I havre spent alot of time at the Gusler's home and every itme was a treat. If you watch the Movie I was given the "Buckskin Hunting Shirt" that Wallace wore in the Movie as a gift. it is treasured and is inmy Collection of Rifles and accoutrements. It was made by the Williamsburg Boot and Leather Shop for Wallace in 1962, he wore it many times hunting in Glenvar Hollow with Gary Brumfield and other friends there, it can be seen on www.flintriflesmith.com Wallace was wearing it on there hunting. You also can check out many Williamsburg Shop Rifles and Pistols. Well worth the look. TGP

Last edited by a moderator:
Back