• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What's your favorite trap/skeet load?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fez

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Just curious to what everyone is using for loads when shooting trap/skeet/sporting clays.

I used 55gr of 3fff and 5/8oz shot in my original 18 bore SXS for skeet. For trap in my 12 bore I used 70gr of 3fff and 1 to 1 1/8 shot. Trap and skeet are totally different games. I always load guns lighter for skeet as the distance of the target is much shorter.

I used 55gr of 3fff and 5/8oz shot in my original 18 bore SXS for skeet. For trap in my 12 bore I used 70gr of 3fff and 1 to 1 1/8 shot. Trap and skeet are totally different games. I always load guns lighter for skeet as the distance of the target is much shorter.
I have been using the same load for everything. 65gr 2f and 1 ounce 8 shot for 12 gauge. Kind of curious if others are using lighter charge.

For my 28 gauge I use 55 grain FF and 3/4 ounce#71/2 shot, For the twelve gauge I use 75 grainFF and 1&1/8 ounce shot

Seems like 75 grains or 2 3/4 dram at 1 1/8 ounce of shot is a popular choice. I am thinking that matches up well with a modern load.

I have a light weight Pedersoli side by side 12 gauge made in 1974 and looking for lighter loads or may have to add some weight to it...I am a wuss when it comes to recoil after a rotator cuff surgery.

I use pretty light loads for skeet if the gun will pattern well with them
When I was shooting skeet competitively at friendship years ago I was shooting a pound of powder a day.
I don't think I have shot a modern smokeless round since I was a kid.

Seems like 75 grains or 2 3/4 dram at 1 1/8 ounce of shot is a popular choice. I am thinking that matches up well with a modern load.

I have a light weight Pedersoli side by side 12 gauge made in 1974 and looking for lighter loads or may have to add some weight to it...I am a wuss when it comes to recoil after a rotator cuff surgery.
I have a light Pedersoli 12 gauge and use somewhere between 3/4 and 7/8 ounce of 81/2 shot over 2 3/4 dram (roughly 70 grains) FFg. It keeps the recoil and muzzle jump well under control. Those guns were originally intended for the British market, which favors lighter loads than the American market (most of the old cartridge British 12's had 2' or 2 1/2" chambers).

I also use that in a 20 gauge Pedersoli (which weighs just over 7 lbs) for skeet and sporting clays (at reasonable distances).

Latest posts

Back