• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ultra Hi Kit Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pro Libertate

40 Cal
Reaction score
I picked up what appears to be an Ultra Hi kit rifle chambered in .45 at a pawn shop this afternoon. I needed another rifle like I need a hole in the head, but I thought that for the asking price ($100) it would make a fun rainy day rifle or one I could introduce my boy to the world of muzzleloading with. It appears to have a seam separating the breech/muzzle, so I’m assuming this is one of those notorious two-piece barrels I’ve heard so much about. Are there documented instances of these barrels kabooming? Should it be relegated to life as a wall hanger?

IMG_9716.jpeg
IMG_9717.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9718.jpeg
    IMG_9718.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9720.jpeg
    IMG_9720.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9721.jpeg
    IMG_9721.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
The wood looks kind of nice, what you've shown us of it. The gun needs work, but if the bore is good, you might have yourself a pretty decent gun for a bit of elbow grease.

Thank you all for chiming in! I took the rifle completely apart during my lunch hour yesterday, with plans to refinish the stock. I’d like to do a medium/dark walnut stain that will really accent the brass. I also want to do a little more inletting on the patch box area so the brass hardware fits flush. Whoever made the rifle didn’t do a very good job carving the patch box, so I’ll have to route or chisel that with a little more care. Of course, I removed the flash shield as it was preventing access to the nipple for removal and was installed backwards, essentially funneling the cap’s explosion into the shooter’s face…

I discovered the inside of the lock had been electro-penciled with the maker’s last name and a date of July, 1975.

Attachments

• IMG_9713.jpeg
    IMG_9713.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That’s my kind of rifle. Whenever I find a CVA, Traditions or Jukar for $100 (or less), it usually goes home with me. Every one I’ve had and still have are very accurate guns. And as Colonel Whelen said, “only accurate guns are interesting guns”, or something like that.

I think a dark walnut stain would look good on that rifle. Anxious to see how it turns out.

Last edited:
From the lock plate and drum, looks like a Markwell Arms gun. Guessing the brass plate opposite the lock is triangle-ish shaped with single bolt at the top?

I picked up what appears to be an Ultra Hi kit rifle chambered in .45 at a pawn shop this afternoon. I needed another rifle like I need a hole in the head, but I thought that for the asking price ($100) it would make a fun rainy day rifle or one I could introduce my boy to the world of muzzleloading with. It appears to have a seam separating the breech/muzzle, so I’m assuming this is one of those notorious two-piece barrels I’ve heard so much about. Are there documented instances of these barrels kabooming? Should it be relegated to life as a wall hanger?

View attachment 305995View attachment 305996
Many guns have the patent breech screwed into the barrel like that. For a hundred bucks, it's a fun project.

The 2 piece barrels that were dangerous to shoot were all smooth bores. After a lot of research, I found out most of them were for the lack of a better word recalled (replaced). Although I'm sure some were missed and still in circulation. I got that info from a wholesaler who handled the importation of them in the '70s.

It's made by Miroku.
I just finished the same kit that I've had for over 25 years
I’ve heard so much conflicting information from a number of folks. Some say it’s Jukar, others that it’s Ultra Hi, and others still that it’s something else entirely. The lock casting sure resembles other Ultra His I’ve seen, but there’s not a single indication it was made in Japan… the lock and barrel are both marked “Made in Spain”. Was Miroku simply an importer? What components -if any- did they make?

I would say if it is marked Spain that it is a jukar. Ultra Hi put out very similar guns but the ones from them that I have seen are marked Japan. I just posted on the pistol I made using and old Spanish kit that the lock was screwed up and used an old Japanese lock probably Ultra Hi that fit the lock inlet perfectly. Actually a better lock than what was on the kit.

I’ve heard so much conflicting information from a number of folks. Some say it’s Jukar, others that it’s Ultra Hi, and others still that it’s something else entirely. The lock casting sure resembles other Ultra His I’ve seen, but there’s not a single indication it was made in Japan… the lock and barrel are both marked “Made in Spain”. Was Miroku simply an importer? What components -if any- did they make?
The Ultra Hi 45 Kentucky I just finished has a three roll stamps.
The right side says Ultra Hi by Miroku, Japan, the top says Proof Tested, and the opposite side says 45 cal, Black Powder Only.
Mine doesn't have a patch box though, just a brass plate that's inset on one side.
Maybe Ultra Hi imported from a few manufactures.
Sorry if my comment added confusion.

Attachments

• 20240322_172712.jpg
    20240322_172712.jpg
  • 20240322_172650.jpg
    20240322_172650.jpg
I had one and like the gun in this thread, mine was marked Spain on the barrel and on the inside of the lock. As far as I was concerned it was a Jukar. I had others also saying it was an ultra high by Miroku despite the fact that there was not anything at all on it saying Japan or Miroku.

The Ultra Hi 45 Kentucky I just finished has a three roll stamps.
The right side says Ultra Hi by Miroku, Japan, the top says Proof Tested, and the opposite side says 45 cal, Black Powder Only.
Mine doesn't have a patch box though, just a brass plate that's inset on one side.
Maybe Ultra Hi imported from a few manufactures.
Sorry if my comment added confusion.
Back in the late 70's I remember Ultra Hi had one similar to what Jukar was making for several companies. A little more expensive kit that had a patchbox like what you see on Pennsylvania rifles and a one piece stock.

Latest posts

Back