• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trying to learn the right way----

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_al_nm

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been searching books and internet sites for about a year and I still cant decide which type of longgun to buy--should a beginner go with flintlock or percussion?Its very confusing andall the local merchants are interested in selling is what they have in stock--I really dont want a modern blackpowder in-line ,I mean whats the use,and my other local choice is a Hawken----does anyone have any good ideas on how to start out without ending up with a gun that doesnt make me happy? I thank you for your time-----al------

My reply is my opinion, Iwould not ask you to take it for any more that just that. I am biased toward the flint lock. Ihave owned caplocks and good ones at that, but I switched to flint 25 yrs. ago and will not go back. For reliable ignition flints are better, even in bad weather. You just have to take more care with them. Cost may be a consideration. A GOOD flintlock will cost more than a cap gun, and little is more exasperating than a poor quality flintlock. Be careful of mass produced FL rifles. Some are not to bad but many just do not perform as they should. There are a few outfits that can sell you a decent gun fairly reasonable that are classed as semi custom, and most offer them unfinished if you want to save a few more bucks or you can order them plain and and add extras later. A quality FL gun is a pleasure to shoot and I find them much more fun. You are approaching this in a wise manner. Too many people buy a cheap gun to start out and then discover later that that's just what they have. Go ahead and buy quality to begin with whether it be flint or cap. You will probably get many more replies than mine. Read them, see what others have to offer then weigh it all out. In the end it is still your decision.

Everyone O know in ML'ing bought theeir first gun & quite promptly found out they wanted something else, because they bought what appealed to them at the time rather than what fit them & was comfortable.
Just recently a guy came by here & tried several dif rifles & owning a Hawken style himself, was simply amazed at the balance or the Lancasters & Isaac Haines rifles in particular. Best way to pik a rifle is go to a big ML shop or a guys house that has a assortment of rifles that you can try them all. This give you some good thinking ammo & the main thing is Looks don't mean nothing if it don't fit you & is not comfortable. Find the style that fits you & you can shoulder well & then look for the gun trimmed out like ya want.
Personally, if I were you I would go with a percussion with a Siler lock & have someone look at it BEFORE ya buy it & be sure it can be easily changed to a Flintlock with simple lock change & vent installation where the drum is. This gives you a lil easier gun to learn with & also you can easily change it for ? $100. or so later.
When you go to get a ML, you need to take someone with ya that really KNOWS them, not bubba dow n the street that shoots skeet or is a rifle deer hunter, you need a real BP guy to be sure you are getting a quality safe gun in good cond.

If you don't own a ML at all & have never owned one, I suggest you go start with a Lyman GPR (Great Plains Rifle) in percussion, then shoot it a while & then if you really like it & want to stay in it you can upgrade from there. You can buy one very reasonable from Midsouth Shooters Supply and get it in kit or complete. I suggest a .54 cal as it is excellent for deer & target & very accurate in the GPR.
This is a small investment & a good starting place for a newbie.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com

I think that Birddogs advice about theLGP is sound, it is a good starting gun at a good price... as far as getting the perfect ML on the first purchase.. good luck, I have had around 30 of them and am still openminded about whether I am done or not...it is kind of like giving a woman constructive criticism an expecting her not to get mad.. maybe to much to hope for?

birddog and tg's advise is right on the mark the lyman is a good rifle the lock on the flint leaves a little to be desired but both shoot excellant (both mine do) another consideration is the pedersoli kentucky the flint version has excellent triggers and a very fast ignition it's also pleasing to look at and is around the same price just a thought good luck at what you choose weasel

Being the guy that Birddog refered to in his above post. I agree completley. (Thanks Birddog for being so kind as to drag out all those guns and let me handle them!) Until you hold a 38" swamped barrel there is no way to imagine or describe the feel. With that being said the flint Hawken style gun I have got me started at a very low cost compared to a custom gun. I'm happy about that and would do it the same way if I was starting over. Go with the flint GPR. I think TG is correct also you will end up with several no matter what you buy. It's that adictive.
Packdog

Latest posts

Back