• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"The Outlaw Josey Wales" and his Walkers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CaptainKirk said:
Careful what'cher watching on TV there, Dave...
"You gonna pull them pistols, or whistle Dixie..?"

Could end up buyin' a new TV if you're not careful.... :hmm:

Actually, my Dragoon has a fairly easy hammer pull compared to my Remmy. It's just that it feels so much more...bulkier...for lack of a better word. Maybe I'm just not used to the added weight yet. :idunno:

It's probably the weight. I'm so used to the weight of the horse pistols that when I pick-up a 1873 clone it feels too light to be a real gun :haha: .

Practice holding it with both hands as well as strong-hand only, so when you get to the range, you'll know where you were actually aiming it when the hammer fell. From there you'll have to concentrate on the uniformity of your grip strength and then sight picture, in order to really group tight with those powerful loads.

Dave

I've been practicin'...trust me! :grin:

I'm actually beginning to get used to the bulk. I'm sure the recoil will be less than that of my Super Blackhawk in .44mag, so I guess I just need to keep pumping iron so I can hold it steady.
Won't this ice and snow ever go away? (groan)

I'm a long-time bodybuilder and martial artist, and I remain impressed by the heft of the Walker. Mine has me to where my Colt Army's feel light as feathers!

Interestingly enough, I can handle the Walker just fine, but the LeMat I used to have just killed my wrist. Finally traded it away. Has to do with the angle of the grips, I think.

Homesteader said:
I'm a long-time bodybuilder and martial artist, and I remain impressed by the heft of the Walker. Mine has me to where my Colt Army's feel light as feathers!

Interestingly enough, I can handle the Walker just fine, but the LeMat I used to have just killed my wrist. Finally traded it away. Has to do with the angle of the grips, I think.

I feel the same way! In fact, while earning my ML Expert rank, I used my Walker like a baseball player would use a lead donut around the bat in the batters' box! Not too much, but enough to loosen-up the arm good. Then I'd switch to the '60 Army with the fluted cylinder and I could hold it steady all day long while shooting at targets 50 yards away strong-hand only :shocked2: .

I get the same light weight feeling when comparing the Walker to the 1873 SAA clones. Some of those don't even weigh enough to feel "real" :haha: .

Dave

Wow, just found your website yesterday and joined. Great thread about OJW.
One of the things about the movie and "pants falling down with those Walkers" is that Josey attached his belt over the outside of his coat. I'm sure this is the only way he could walk around all day on the set with those horse pistols on him.
Here's the website of the imfdb.guns site.
Been studing elements of this movie for the last few years. http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Outlaw_Josey_Wales,_The

Thanks again for letting me join here, and hope to contribute a little if I can.
OJW

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum, and glad to have you chime in on our little thread.
Feel free to comment and offer suggestions! :v
Are you packin' Walkers, or just in the planning stages?
What iron do you own/shoot?

Thanks guys, already have enjoyed reading many posts.

I don't have any Walkers, I like my only Dragoon better. I know that messes up the whole Josey Wales idea, but I have a strongside 2nd model Dragoon, with a Colt '60 in the Belt (that one is OK) but I mess up with a weakside '58 Remmy.
Also mess up the shoulder rig, because I have a 1962 .36 5-shot pocket police in my shoulder holster instead of an 1849 pocket.

But, hey, I'm trying.
Like most of you I have several other fun things to shoot too.

Thanks for the welcome.
I know I'll get some great info and conversation here.

OJW

Those little '49 pictols are fun to shoot, I used to carry one in a shoulder rig a '51 Navy .36 in another shoulder rig and a '60 army and a '58 Remy stuck in the belt cross draw style, I was not really into serious re-enacting but it was fun to set up half a dozen or more man targets painted on old referigerator boxes and blaze away till all the guns were empty.Just about as much fun as a man can have and still have his clothes on. :shocked2: Welcome to the Forum.. Mr. Wales

"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?" :wink:

Don't feel bad. I just bought my Second Dragoon, and prefer it to the Walker (not by much, tho!)
It doesn't matter what you shoot, only that you shoot...and BP, at that!
Maybe when the weather breaks, we can compare notes on the Dragoons (I haven't shot mine yet)

Back