• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck ball in percussion cylinder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I got this Lyman 1858 .36 cal. revolver awhile ago and its done really well for me. I got tired of loading loose ball and powder so learned from youtube and made some paper cartridges. I was so excited to try them that I loaded the cylinder full to test their function. They loaded perfectly and I had a shoot with my churches men's group soon so I thought I'd shoot them there. Only 3 went off, because, surprise surpirse, loading into a cylinder that has not had caps fired on it to clear oil and such out, FOULS POWDER. It has sat ever since then with those champers still loaded. I've been busy as a newly wed and new Dad, and am only just able to get back to it. How do y'all clear or pull stuck balls from a percussion guns cylinder?

That's what I would do. ETA: referring to post 2
If that didn't work I'd drop the cylinder into a bucket a water for a spell, then use a ball puller.

I have used a knife to dig them out in a pinch.
Gotta be very careful not to hit the walls of the cylinder doing that but it works in a pinch.
Better to pull the nipple set the cylinder on a tapping block and tap it out from the rear using something softer than steel.
Be careful to not ding the threads doing it that way.

It’s not that hard. Sometimes at range guys get to talking and ive missed putting powder in chamber.
Remove the cylinder, remove nipple, eyeglass screwdriver i keep in bag fits in nipple hole, one whack with requisite hammer or wood ball stater that of course you have in range bag, ball pops right out.
Total time about 1 minute.

Ditto to the above three forum tipsters, can also use 4F powder for a little extra boost if you have some available.
I think most of us have experienced similar issues while learning or just because we were not paying attention. 😂

Back