• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Sleep deprivation......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
and shooting! On my recent trip to my son's camp in Coalgate Ok. to deer hunt....I had something happen that had never occurred previously concerning the use of iron sights. Let me digress! The day before Thanksgiving or rather the night prior to Thanksgiving day I only got two hours sleep as on occasion that's just the way it worked out and nothing unusual about it as my Dad had the same problem from time to time! However, the next four nights took place in the same fashion...I just couldn't sleep. No sickness or whatnot and if I drink a little scotch it's not to excess! Wife and I had 20 family members here Thanksgiving day so lots of visiting went on. My son wanted me to shoot a doe for camp meat the day I went to my stand and I prepared to do so. I was sitting on a green field my son had planted and about 1530 hours five doe ran out onto the field; one and old heifer so I selected her. She was standing about 70 yards broadside; no problem as I had a good rest and this Hawken in .54 shoots really good! As I shouldered the rifle and looked through the rear sight.....the entire front of the barrel disappeared I went through the alignment again....and the entire front of the barrel disappeared! In frustration and to unload the rifle due to a supreme case of the red a.. I just shot into the ground. The deer upon the field took off akin to rockets as I was contemplating what had just occurred! In retrospect I had less than eight hours sleep over almost a five day period but I did not feel tired or worn out. Well....at 83 years age it didn't take me too long to diagnose my situation. I have been blessed over many years with fantastic vision; shooting with the All-Army Rifle Team in 1960 and using a National Match M1 Grand rifle equipped with an aperture sight I won lots of junk. My vision is such now that I can see the standard barrel sights on the Hawken very well; except on this occasion! My vocation for over 40 years has been aviation so attending a yearly exam, including a visit with an eye Doc has gone very well. In reading about historical events related from friends that were pilots during WWII it was recalled that on occasion that flying under stress for long periods over a span of days that vision was somewhat impaired due to not enough rest/sleep; things not seen were there and things there were not seen! Adequate sleep and rest are essential for a well functioning human body. As I sit here on my patio cleaning the Hawken...the sights are as clear as they have always been! It is also a very good idea to stay constantly alert to staying hydrated because dehydration can cause weird sensations with the human body! Hope all have a MERRY CHRISTMAS and GOD BLESS to all!

My family has issues sleeping. I've found that taking my vitamins of an evening and drinking a glass of Kefir milk helps. I'm lactose intolerant and cannot drink regular milk. I still have nights where I get only a few hours sleep, but not often and there is no need for me to take prescription medication.

My family has issues sleeping. I've found that taking my vitamins of an evening and drinking a glass of Kefir milk helps. I'm lactose intolerant and cannot drink regular milk. I still have nights where I get only a few hours sleep, but not often and there is no need for me to take prescription medication.

And one of the common problems involving older citizens is being OVER MEDICATED!

BUD,i worked swing shift work for 25 years been retired 8 years and still have problems. we i was young i could go about three day working ahd hunting not sleeping between shifts. after years of working and hunting it got the best of me. HOPE all works out for you.

I had not heard of such a side effect involving vision with prolonged lack of sleep. Wow. I wonder if there is some sort of exercise that can "reset" vision under these circumstances, something like the motions prescribed for stopping an attack of vertigo.

I withdrew from a flintlock match one morning when I could not see my front sight. Not blurry, just not there. For safety reasons, I withdrew from the match. I, too, had been without sleep for a couple of days (a couple of naps, no real sleep.) The next day after a full night's rest, I had no issues and continue to shoot the rifle. One summer I worked in Alaska, salmon fishing, pulling periodic 24 hour shifts. You get some very strange side effects from sleep deprivation.

ADK Bigfoot

Latest posts

Back