• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Serpentine 'hand gonne' matchlock by Veteran Arms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First off, be well aware that one could get a 'hand gonne' barrel in 62 or 75 caliber for ~$200, and a serpentine for another $25 or so, from The Riffle Shoppe. Fashion a 4' long (+/-) wood tiller from a replacement wheel barrel handle and you'd be into it for ~ $250.

However, this might be an option for people not so handy. FWIW I am beginning to see more and more hand gonnes offered as of late, as even Lodgewood sold a few recently.

Link = https://veteranarms.com/shop/muskets/Medieval-Handgonne-American-Hasta-Brand-p380105911
Hand Gonne.JPG

That's more or less what I'm putting together, FlintSmoothie. I bought a small (.50 cal) gonne from a forum member, a serpentine from TRS, and plan to use a piece of wood I've already got for the tiller. It's an inexpensive foray into the very early world of gonne-ing that I'm looking forward to. If I don't care for it I'm not out much, and if I do it seems like a good start.

My idea is a piece of buggy axle, a drill and some scrap iron, Flint.
I keep looking at a certain buggy axle in the scrap pile. It shows all the forging marks, and goes from square to octagonal to round.
any bit of old iron would make the serpent. Id keep the rough million year old looking exterior...;

Following that link, it looks like it is the first model of a new completely American made line? That could have the potential to help their dubious reputation and provide an alternative to Pedersoli.
Veteran Arms LLC becomes American Hasta Flagship Dealer
It looks like they are doing an American made Charleville, Brown Bess, and Early American Matchlock(!).

Very nice to see it’s American made. Doesn’t seem like a bad price considering the time/effort to build. Very interested in the early American matchlock and may pick up this as I’ve wanted a handgonne for many years.

I’ve decided to purchase this gun (or rather, gonne).

It should arrive Tuesday via Brown if they don’t lose the damn thing like they’ve done with other packages lately. Somehow my order meant to supply my new trade gun is mired in California thanks to them.

I’ve ordered ball and other accouterments from Track and will hopefully have a range report by week’s end. Expect an initial impression post on Tuesday god willing.

I bought one a little while ago. I wasn’t saving much here with the cost of wood being so high lately. If I took a board, cut it down and shaped it then finished it etc. it would have come out not far off from just buying one already done. Anyway it showed up AOK for me here in Texas. It is very nicely done too.

Latest posts

Back