• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scrimshaw on Black?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever done scrimshaw (or 'scratchin') on a black horn, and then put something (white paint?) in the grooves (or 'scratches') to have it show?
I have a plain black horn that I am lookin' to scratch.

Thanks.

I think any type of paint would be absorbed by the porosity in the horn.

I'd polish that sucker and let the black shine be the focal point of the piece.

Dark wood accents and strap too.

A place to start lookin' for some fancy light color paint would be the makeup section at Walmart. Nowadays , you wouldn't look out of place lookin' there. Wear a hat , so you don't stand out among all the purple/pink hair people. Just do it , no offence meant , that's where I'de go. Do it for the sake of the art.

I have done a couple of black horns with some rudimentary scrimshaw. I fill the scratched lines with old fashioned "White-Out" that was used as a correction fluid for type writer errors. I'm sure this ages me some that I still have a typewriter and correction fluid.

Last edited:
I’ve done this on a pet store chew toy black water buffaloe? small horn for a pistol. No filler used. Lines show up pretty well. The beak comes off to pour out the powder.

IMG_4176.jpeg

IMG_4177.jpeg

Last edited:
On a scrap, try brushing on a clear sealer over the area. You can get the latex base folk art type paint and sealer at the hobby store. Sealer first, then paint. Gently rub with 0000 steel wool to remove the paint from the high spots. You could put sealer back over the filled areas. Polish the horn.:cool:

I’ve Done a few black ones. Like above, I’ve used white out, also used a white paint marker pen. Both went well. Also tried one with white paint pen and then went over some areas with the kids coloured felt marker pens from their school supplies to add colour to flowers, leaves etc. worked well.

Update… still a work in progress.
Added two lines near the transition, and some more shaping on the tip. Polished it with 1000 grit wet/dry. Really smooth & black.
Then put some white acrylic hobby paint in the scratches and rubbed the overflow off.
Then added the line near the plug and drilled and installed brads (short bits of finish nails hammered square).

IMG_0181.jpeg

Last edited:
So, as I mentioned, this was a cheap horn I bought to try all this out. The crooked hole they drilled for the stopper does not follow the horn contour at all. My thought is to fill the hole with JB or epoxy, and re-drill. Any better ideas?

IMG_0183.jpeg

Latest posts

Back