• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ruger old army question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Apollonious

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I have a couple Ruger Old Army‘s, and one of them needs a cylinder. I was wondering if I could convert that one to 45 colt with old Blackhawk parts? Was thinking I would probably just need to buy a cylinder, hammer, and base pin assembly. I could get the ejector down the road. Is this doable?
I know you can buy a conversion cylinder, but I think I would prefer To not take the cylinder out every time I unload. I would have to Grind down the indentation in the back to allow the bullet to fit I’m sure

Howell & Taylor both offer conversion cylinders for the ROA in 45 Colt, 45 ACP & several other Cowboy Action 45 rounds. Converting a Blachawk cylinder would cost more, would force you to figure out a firing pin solution, & wouldn't be any different from a reloading standpoint than the conversion cylinders. Plus you would be destroying a scarce, sought after revolver frame. They cost about $250 & are plug & play.

Or you can get a ClassicBallistix cylinder. Back to standard black powder percussion, but with deeper chambers.

I have a couple Ruger Old Army‘s, and one of them needs a cylinder. I was wondering if I could convert that one to 45 colt with old Blackhawk parts? Was thinking I would probably just need to buy a cylinder, hammer, and base pin assembly. I could get the ejector down the road. Is this doable?
I know you can buy a conversion cylinder, but I think I would prefer To not take the cylinder out every time I unload. I would have to Grind down the indentation in the back to allow the bullet to fit I’m sure

I once read many years ago in another forum that when Ruger designed the Old Army that they made dimensional changes to several of the components such as the bolt shape that locks into the BP cylinder recesses and the frame grove for the hammer striker to hit a percussion cap specifically to prevent use of Ruger Blackhawk parts in an Old Army for liability issues. It would probably take a very experienced machinist to alter an Old Army to a Blackhawk. Old Hawkeye and rodwha have the best advice if you want to shoot an unmentionable cartridge in an Old Army. I have both ClassicBallistix and Kirst cylinders. 😚

I suppose people climb the mountain because it’s there and there doesn’t have to be a reason to try. If you could convert it back and forth like other replicas, go for it, but if it was me, I wouldn’t modify it so it couldn’t go back to black.

I once read many years ago in another forum that when Ruger designed the Old Army that they made dimensional changes to several of the components such as the bolt shape that locks into the BP cylinder recesses and the frame grove for the hammer striker to hit a percussion cap specifically to prevent use of Ruger Blackhawk parts in an Old Army for liability issues. It would probably take a very experienced machinist to alter an Old Army to a Blackhawk. Old Hawkeye and rodwha have the best advice if you want to shoot an unmentionable cartridge in an Old Army. I have both ClassicBallistix and Kirst cylinders. 😚
I remember reading that too. I am al but certain converting it would be very difficult. Will probably need to recreate several components from scratch and may even need to perform some welding. A new percussion cylinder or one of the conversion cylinders will get you shooting.

It is against the forum rules to discuss conversion cylinders for cap & ball pistols or shooting self contained metallic cartridges.
I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back