• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Roll the old chariot along

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Old sailor tune
Roll the old chariot along repeated three times while we all hang on behind.
Then a short verse a drop of drop of “Nelson’s Blood wouldn’t do us any harm”, or ‘a plate of irish stew’ or ‘a night on the town,’ all repeated three then the coras.
Well was at Ft Charters this weekend. Friday night was the single worse weather I ever went through at an event.
Now I’ve been out at night when it was kissing 0 degrees f, and rain that turned the field in to a mud wrestling pit.
So hot gun barrels drooped and eggs were pre cooked when you cracked them.
Had a tornado go over the camp ( camp of the big sucking wind) and snow in May
But the wind that came through Charters was hellish. ( it spawned a bunch of tornados and destruction along its path.) Saturday morning I had to set my pots right in the fire to heat enough for tea and grits.
Saturday afternoon wind died and Sunday as I was packing up was as pretty as a day one could hope for in spring.
But Friday night will live in my memory….I thought.
Now now in hind sight all I recall is how good the camp looked, every one dressed out in cold weather gear, great coats,cloaks,match coats, capotes, all looked so good. Snow packs and wooden shoes, high lows every where you looked. Knit hats, and Canadian caps graced every head.
Travern night was a blast
While I drank more than I should I certainly stayed sober enough to drive and not be arrested if I had to. But I got more than one kiss from Nancy whiskey and studied on the blessings of barley.
What’s that got to do with the sailors shanty?
Well as I look back on the worse weather of any camp ever my memory is the good fellowship, the wonderful sights, tge smell of campfires, wet wool, and bubbling pots, the laughter and joy
Worse weather
Well
A drop of rum
Will erase that memory
A drop of rum will
erase that memory
A drop of rum
Will erase that memory
And we’ll all hang on behind
And we’ll roll the old
Chariot along…..

It's surviving these worst times, @tenngun, that provide us with our best memories.

I still can't believe that I survived that Saturday morning wind and temperature drop under a half faced tarp and three blankets. Once one does these things you begin to get a real feeling for history and how people survived. And as you observed, even as bad as the weather was, not one of the participants broke into modern foul weather gear. What a great weekend.

Oh, and even with the winds gusting to 20+ mph, the shooting contest continued. Maybe not as many as normal, but still quite a few shooters were placing bullet holes on those 6" wide boards trying to center the impacts on the painted X mark.

Back