• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Re-facing flintlock pistol frizzen

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last week a friend brought me a flintlock pistol by an unknown Spanish maker. it had a somewhat ornamental frizzen. The face was in bad shape, badly worn, scored and rutted. It barely sparked at all. He wanted to see if I could harden it.

I was reluctant to try hardening it as I was afraid it might crack, and i probably could not find a replacement.

Instead, I dug out an old piece of clock spring that I bought online for a project long ago and cut off a piece long enough to to cover the frizzen face. Using JB weld I glued the spring to the frizzen face using lock pliers to clamp the ends so that the spring conformed to the frizzen face. I let it set for 48 hours then used my Dremel to take off excess material at the edges and conform to the shape of the frizzen.

Now it throws lovely sparks and if it ever needs to be re-done, heat will loosen the JB weld, while the pan ignition does not have any effect on it.

A cheap easy and effective fix.

Last week a friend brought me a flintlock pistol by an unknown Spanish maker. it had a somewhat ornamental frizzen. The face was in bad shape, badly worn, scored and rutted. It barely sparked at all. He wanted to see if I could harden it.

I was reluctant to try hardening it as I was afraid it might crack, and i probably could not find a replacement.

Instead, I dug out an old piece of clock spring that I bought online for a project long ago and cut off a piece long enough to to cover the frizzen face. Using JB weld I glued the spring to the frizzen face using lock pliers to clamp the ends so that the spring conformed to the frizzen face. I let it set for 48 hours then used my Dremel to take off excess material at the edges and conform to the shape of the frizzen.

Now it throws lovely sparks and if it ever needs to be re-done, heat will loosen the JB weld, while the pan ignition does not have any effect on it.

A cheap easy and effective fix.
Sounds good! Thanks for your post. Why did you use JB instead of a low temp solder?
Larry

I may be doing something similar in the near future. Wasn’t sure how to go about it as I’ve never silver soldered anything before. Will JB weld stand up to repeated strikes.

Had a frizzen resoled a few years back. The gunsmith used a piece of bandsaw blade, riveted and soldered in place. Sparks like crazy.

I have been pondering this. If I solder a new face onto a frizzen, I'm getting it hot enough to anneal it. If I heat it up enough to quench harden it, the solder will melt. So what is the correct technique?

Carbon steel won't anneal until you get it up to critical temperature, which is roughly 1425 F. That's dull cherry red. If you use a low temperature solder that melts at 400-600F and heat the piece from the other side of the frizzen you can make it stick without annealing.

You were wise not messing with that El Cheapo lock. What you did was good. Wide bandsaw blades work well also. Although, you might have to grind down the frizzen face to maintain good geometry when the new metal is installed on it.

Latest posts

Back