• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Priming horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's a fun little project I finished recently. Horn is a from small black buck antelope a friend found in a pasture and gave to me, plug is a piece of well seasoned mesquite root burl, tip is a commercial part from TOW, horn tip drilled and tapped to accept the threads. Fits in a shirt pocket or just loose in the shooting pouch.

20230410_221645.jpg

Not too bad actually, its kind if like a cow horn at the tip, only had to drill about 3/4" to the cavity after bobbing the tip at the correct diameter for the spout. I drilled a small hole and checked where it came out with a flexible bore scope, got lucky and dead-centered it because the cavity was concentric to the outside of the horn.

So sorry , those goat horn primers went with a couple builds , and shot pouches for guys. All I can tell ya is , there were two black ones , and one whitish brown one. All had 3 gr. plungers in the ends. Crazy Crow has some small flat cow horns in their catalog. I saw them off at about 4" length , and the open end , replug with curly maple , and the small end gets a 3 gr. plunger primer. Very serviceable , and take up little space in the shot pouch. Luck to ya.

Back