• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyC

Shooting my .45 better every time
Reaction score
Finished my powder horn and am very pleased with the finished product.

Attachments

• 78EEAEAB-0964-4C2B-97C1-A4EF6F7C02C6.jpeg
    78EEAEAB-0964-4C2B-97C1-A4EF6F7C02C6.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
Looks nice! Question - there are 3 grooves cut all the way around but the groove closest to the tip is partial. Just curious why it doesn’t go all the way around like the other grooves. :dunno:

Looks nice! Question - there are 3 grooves cut all the way around but the groove closest to the tip is partial. Just curious why it doesn’t go all the way around like the other grooves. :dunno:
We’ll I tried to do a little fancy carving and didn’t like it so I put a little spiral groove to get rid of it.

There's Pros and cons on the lanyard. I'm aware of two verified cases of flint shooters forgetting to plug their horns and having an errant spark enter the spout and blow up. I've also had the experience of bushwhacking through thick willows and having my plug pulled loose and loosing quite a bit of powder before noticing it.

Great looking horn! Who’s strap did you use?
Kevin
Interesting story, I took my grandson to a reenactment and saw these straps on a blanket and walked over and the guy selling them lives about 1/2 mile from me. I’ve seen him walking daily for 30 years and never met him before. If you like the strap PM me and I’ll see if I can get his info for you.

Beautiful piece of work. Well done. Serious question though, is it safe to use? Am taking lessons in muzzle loading and advised to use small plastic containers that contain individual charges. I am advised that any remaining embers in the barrel might ignight powder as it goes in causing horn to explode. Would appreciate advice.

Beautiful piece of work. Well done. Serious question though, is it safe to use? Am taking lessons in muzzle loading and advised to use small plastic containers that contain individual charges. I am advised that any remaining embers in the barrel might ignight powder as it goes in causing horn to explode. Would appreciate advice.
Curious, as to your muzzleloading lessons, is this a class dealing with in-lines and traditional type muzzle loaders. or mainly the in-lines, I ask this not to ridicule but to say I would think most classes spend a little time on the side locked guns, and is mostly devoted to the others, If you do some looking on the site you will see different types of measures, some bought some handmade not really a difficult project, and as was stated, NEVER CHARGE THE WEAPON DIRECTLY FROM A HORN OR CONTAINER.

Back