• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Poorly Assembled Brown Bess Lock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 258293View attachment 258294

Hi Ya

Youre doing everything correctly here !

And great job on the screw the only thing i do differently in this situation with Indian Locks is I make sure that screws are counter sunk to the tumbler by leaving a small chamfer on the shaft beneath the head of the screw, this keeps the parts from slipping, I’ll see if I can find an example, but lately I’ve been turning away Indian made locks, i just have too many rifle shoppe kits too assemble.

Indian made locks are full of inconsistent geometric issues, all starting with the shape of the flintcock and location of the bridle.

Personally If I were an Indian made dealer I woudln’t assemble these locks, I’d send them to the USA to be assembled with templates, their quality control would increase, a prices would increase slightly.

One thing i forgot to add in regards to Indian Locks is the hardening process.

If you’re not aware of it, the steel they use isn’t any kind of standard carbon steel.

They often use recycled steels from carbon steel and stainless. Indian is known as the steel recycling capital of the world and they don’t separate steel types when they melt them down into stock.

so you what you end up with is carbon steels mixed with improper amounts of iron, chromium, nickel, carbon and manganese and hardening those parts can be complicated.

What i do for the frizzens is i heat them to around 1600 and quench them in a hot water brine (almost boiling) of potassium nitrate or tree stump remover, this gets the hard enough. Same with springs and internal parts.

I polish the plates up to 220 and then shot peen them in a large tumbler, this gives a kind of case hardened surface, not like real case hardening but it’s adequate.

Back