• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pistol identification

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonefishing

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, & tried a search of the forum, but didn't have much luck. I need help identifying a flintlock pistol I inherited from a relative. I don't see any marks on the weapon that would help-does anyone have any tips on what to look for & where? The barrel is about 10 inches long, the trigger guard and the butt are brass, as is an S shaped inlay on the left side with 2 screws in it. The barrel has a front site and a flat steel plate is attached to the bottom of the barrel with the ramrod incorporated into it. The ramrod is of brass and wood and I think the caliber is .50. The stock is pinned with small brass nails and there is a brass banding located about four inches back from the muzzle.the stock stops about 4 inches from the muzzle as well-next to the brass band I mentioned.
I know a picture would be of great help, but I haven't mastered that operation get. Any and all help will be appreciated - Thanks

I think you already know what I'm going to say, but without a picture, it could be just about anything (except a Kentucky pistol).

You didn't say if it looks fairly new or very old. That would help too.

The Italian reproductions all have Italian Proof Marks which consist of little shields, little stars in a circle with the letters "PN" etc marked on the breech or bottom of the barrel.

The Spain, Germany, Belgium, Great Briton and France also have various proof marks marked on the breech of the barrel.

That leaves the USA and Japan as being a possible source.

Does the Brass band you mention go around the barrel or does it just cover the wood?

Thanks for the reply, the pistol looks very old to me. The band goes around the wood and then under the barrel-not around the barrel.

Even with a picture it is very difficult to try to figure out what you have, but without one it's just about impossible.

So many things can make a difference such as the shape of the lock. Is the rear of the lock round or rather pointed?
Does the underside of the "pan" (the place where the priming powder goes) have a round shape or is it composed of several flats?

Does the grip have a rather bulbous end on it or is it round or square?

If the grip is bulbous, does it have metal coming up both sides of the grip or does it have a metal cap?

Is the barrel round, octagon or a combination of both?

Lots of questions I know and they don't begin to scratch the surface of what is needed to figure out what you have.

If you have access to a digital camera (like maybe a friend could help you?) joining a free web place like Photobucket would allow you to download your picture(s) there. With that done, it is fairly easy to post the pictures here.
We even have a place that can tell you what to do.
Just follow this link:
POSTING PHOTOS ON THE FORUM

Back