• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ottoman Guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2D277985-340C-4EA9-95FA-EF540DBE1A78.jpeg

Thanks Rick! Only back in town for a month to take care of some things.
I have shot the Shishane once before and i’d like to get the Kariophili shooting as well. It has some damage to crown that needs addressing before that can happen, as well as a mainspring. I think all that may have to be done in another visit, but I’d love to find the time now.
Regarding the grease box, Bobi, some others in Bulgaria and in the Caucasus have told me these were for grease or fat. The Russian/Armenian author Astvatsaturyan writes that these were for storing spare flints or fat/grease or rags soaked in oil/grease for cleaning. The rag could make sense seeing as I’ve never heard of anyone finding a container with any remnants of grease left. A piece of cloth is easily lost or tossed out.
I’ve taken some photos of markings on the barrel, if anyone has any ideas, please share.

31956668-F288-48E7-9F4C-7DA2B3A8A126.jpeg
F274AE7B-A6E0-4297-995C-2BB85ADB589B.jpeg
01005FB1-4F97-4EF5-8097-9C0937C6507A.jpeg

B7C9E2A4-88ED-4BEF-985D-B0E9FC07123E.jpeg

Last edited:
So you bought something from Hall's ! Was it the old man --- a "character" would be generous -- or from John, his gunsmith son?
The old man in his deer stalker brieks and Hat & Westit John was more normal but in his gunshop Frank looked the part catch him in a good mood he was great. We called him "The Bishop of Beetwell Street 'only he didn't where a top hat in bed Might have wore his Deerstalker though.
Regards Rudyard

The Ottomans primarily used matchlocks until the mid to late 1600s at which time they started transitioning to what is now called the Spanish style miquelet lock, with matchlocks often converted into miquelets. What distinguishes a miquelet from a true flintlock is that the sear projects horizontally thru the lockplate, and also that the lock is typically on the outside of the gun.

Compared to the true flintlock, the miquelet is easier to manufacture, and more reliable with a dull flint. However in the half-cock position the spring is still under some tension and can wear out over time. Additionally, the miquelet's more aggressive angle of flint striking the frizzen creates a more violent shake disrupting aim.

Judging by these pictures, true flintlocks made their appearance in Ottoman lands at some point by the 1800s, I don't know if that was a preference or just a phenomenon of importing guns from the West.

More photos have been collected here: Ottoman matchlock examples. - Ethnographic Arms & Armour

As far as I can tell, the Ottoman matchlocks had a trigger mechanism like this, with a spring acting downward on the trigger:
They can be made of one member I copied one recently from an old Omani gun you do need a light spring mind.
Rudyard

Cyten: Thanks for your response. Again, when the time comes, there are plenty of resources here in the States for addressing the Kariophili back to shooting condition.
Thanks again for the information on the grease containers. That's what we will call them. Holding grease is as a good of guess as any.

Rick

The lock in my Shishane measures to 3 1/4 so I think it will be ok for a shoulder gun as well.
A project that will take some time!

As a point of interest, here is a Shishane that belonged to Sultan Ahmed III. He ruled from 1703-1730, so this can be dated to somewhere in that first quarter and of the 18th century (courtesy of the Hisart Museum in Istanbul)
View attachment 307254

I have also recently been reading about the shooting competitions held in the Ottoman Empire. Popular in the days, at first for archery, of course with the introduction to firearms they were added as well. Records were held by erecting pillars called nişantaşı at the distance. There are around 40 of the left in Turkey.

This one was to commemorate Mahmud II shooting an ostrich egg with a rifle in 1810 at 736 meters!
View attachment 307262

Apparently the minimum distances to shoot a chicken egg was 264 meters, ostrich egg 702 meters, jar of water 827 meters. No small feat to this day!
Hopefully @Barud can correct me on anything.
I have a rifle that has the facility of elivateing to some 1&1 half inch from the rear sight base it being dove tail part way up the barrel . The Sher bakar? rear sight evidently removed Ile append a pic later it also has a rude steel butt plate with a square hole as if some clamp like jig saw experimental use .Note small scale lock presumably to reduce Jar ?. Bore great shot it once other wise a classic Turkish Rifle. I thought might be made for these long range events .Perhaps using a picket bullet rather than a ball but this is my speculation .Still an interesting angle to pursue .
Regards Rudyard
1714029810970.png

1714029802651.png

1714029791275.png

Last edited:
I have a rifle that has the facility of elivateing to some 1&1 half inch from the rear sight base it being dove tail part way up the barrel . The Sher bakar? rear sight evidently removed Ile append a pic later it also has a rude steel butt plate with a square hole as if some clamp like jig saw experimental use .Note small scale lock presumably to reduce Jar ?. Bore great shot it once other wise a classic Turkish Rifle. I thought might be made for these long range events .Perhaps using a picket bullet rather than a ball but this is my speculation .Still an interesting angle to pursue .
Regards Rudyard
View attachment 314930

View attachment 314929
View attachment 314928

Regards Rudyard
View attachment 314930

View attachment 314929
View attachment 314928
I was getting the earlier' Ottoman Guns' posts but the 'Pre flintlock' seems bunged up by' Hand Gonnes' ect , Of course they ARE pre flintlock .But Ide vainly hoped for feed back on this original Turkish Rifle .Perhaps it might better suit 'Original Guns '?.
Rudyard the student

Hi Rudyard

Your gun posted above would equally be appropriate in BOTH categories of this Forum, in my opinion. But glad you posted it here.

That is a very nice Ottoman/Turkish shishane rifle. That Damascus barrel appears to be a beauty. And looks to be in good condition. The rear sight is interesting. It looks like maybe an Ottoman/Turk variation of a European style and mounting of a rear sight. You don't often see this, but I have seen a couple of others with a similar rear sight. I'm guessing there is a vertical slide that moves up or down to produce maybe 2 or 3 different holes (?) Possibly done latter in the period with the traditional fixed sight at the very rear of the breach removed (?)

It's always seemed to me that the Ottoman/Turks viewed their shoulder guns as long range weapons. Whether fixed or adjustable, they all have the round holes that Europeans considered peep sights for long range shooting. Your gun would be a nice Shishane to own and shoot. If you get a chance, can you show a couple more pics of that rear sight ? Thanks for posting.

Rick

Hi Rudyard

Your gun posted above would equally be appropriate in BOTH categories of this Forum, in my opinion. But glad you posted it here.

That is a very nice Ottoman/Turkish shishane rifle. That Damascus barrel appears to be a beauty. And looks to be in good condition. The rear sight is interesting. It looks like maybe an Ottoman/Turk variation of a European style and mounting of a rear sight. You don't often see this, but I have seen a couple of others with a similar rear sight. I'm guessing there is a vertical slide that moves up or down to produce maybe 2 or 3 different holes (?) Possibly done latter in the period with the traditional fixed sight at the very rear of the breach removed (?)

It's always seemed to me that the Ottoman/Turks viewed their shoulder guns as long range weapons. Whether fixed or adjustable, they all have the round holes that Europeans considered peep sights for long range shooting. Your gun would be a nice Shishane to own and shoot. If you get a chance, can you show a couple more pics of that rear sight ? Thanks for posting.

Rick
Dear Rick . I wanted to take better pics of the sight but my daughters flat glass thing ran out of power ,Ditto the 3/8" square hole 1& a half inch deep as if in a testing jig in the steel butt plate , just a thin affair .Point being that elevation would presumably be for distances well beyound the normal expectation of a round ball .Perhaps a picket bullet .Somebody loved that rifle .I got it in Ohio $700 US but I thought it worth that to me ,Like that old dual ignition Persian ? rifle I had as a teenager but let it go .probably because it was so heavy .The bore is quite perfect must check the and bore size about 50 cal I seem to recall . The Damascus Brl is bold except where the sight was added they evidently thought about its function rather than looks .

On that theme Who knows a good way to refresh the worn once bold and tactile Damascus ? mild sulphuric ? or what ever was used. of the few old breechloader barrels I have gathered many had either twist or nice Damascus to varying degrees of bold ness . I once stocked up a separated pair of L C Smith barrels they where in the white each tube then made up as the double ten bore only to find one tube was steel the other Damascus .by mistake ? what to do ?? well sell it off cheap I supposes its now or was a double 10 bore flintlock of healthy dimension but that was how the US market seemed to prefer a gun lots of drop & heavy as if stalking up to bladder a flock ,Whereas the English sportsman wanted as light as practical .since you walked all day and wanted a quick mounting of his gun .plus free of fault should it fail since they where all Proofed as fit so the maker didn't fear liabilities so didn't make barrels any stouter than needed Last saw the double 10 flint gun was in Ohio Herman Marker had it made by me he used to run the skeet range at F ship . Regards Rudyard

Back