• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original 1853 Enfield Touch Holes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with how the original 1853 Enfield breech plug was made, of how big in diameter the hole going from beneath the nipple into the bore actually was?

I do not have an original. I do not know how they are "supposed" to be. My Parker Hale had a tiny passage. No powder could get under the nipple. Reliability was poor. I opened it up. IT fires 100% now.

The plug is actually a cap on these guns. The barrel is threaded on the outside rather than the way it is usually done.

Mine (an Armisport) is tight. Once cleared it works fine but there definitely is a process to be observed.
I've looked at it and considered what you have done, opening it up. And I may still. Something I've definitely considered is looking into a Mag-Spark type firing of 209 primers for initial clearing rather than popping musket caps through it.

Hopefully someone will come along that knows how the weapon system was originally engineered. I'd really be interested in knowing not just how big the entrance into the bore was but also what it took to prep the piece for a reliable first shot. I suspect some of the answer is in the amount of primer compound in the caps.

Back