• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Older (?) conicals question…..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flincher80

32 Cal
Reaction score
So I came across a partial pack of Hornady Great Plains conicals for my .50 cal Hawken. I’ve been a patch n’ ball guy up until now (except sabots out of the in-line). Barrel is a 1:48 twist so I figured these things would hit nice 50-60 yards. So…my question is what I presume to be lube is dry and flaking off. is that white schleck normal? And since they’re HB I figured no patch is needed eh?
Appreciate any tips on trying these things out. I mostly archery hunt so the flintlock has just been used at the range, but I’d like to hunt with it this year.
IMG_0740.jpeg

So I came across a partial pack of Hornady Great Plains conicals for my .50 cal Hawken. I’ve been a patch n’ ball guy up until now (except sabots out of the in-line). Barrel is a 1:48 twist so I figured these things would hit nice 50-60 yards. So…my question is what I presume to be lube is dry and flaking off. is that white schleck normal? And since they’re HB I figured no patch is needed eh?
Appreciate any tips on trying these things out. I mostly archery hunt so the flintlock has just been used at the range, but I’d like to hunt with it this year.
View attachment 260308
Its normal they dry out. I have some that are 15 plus years old. No patch needed. I clean off the dry lube with a nylon brush and put some bore buter on them. If you're putting them in a flinter watch your powder charge, there's a point of to much back pressure and excess flash coming from the touch hole.

Its normal they dry out. I have some that are 15 plus years old. No patch needed. I clean off the dry lube with a nylon brush and put some bore buter on them. If you're putting them in a flinter watch your powder charge, there's a point of to much back pressure and excess flash coming from the touch hole.
Thanks! I was also told I could “melt” the lube off…I think I like the brush idea better. Most of what I saw so far was 90 gr BP. Higher than I’m used to. Figured I’d have to play a little.

Thanks! I was also told I could “melt” the lube off…I think I like the brush idea better. Most of what I saw so far was 90 gr BP. Higher than I’m used to. Figured I’d have to play a little.
80 to 90 is pretty much max for me from a flint, just make sure there's nobody next to ya.🍻

I've cleaned old lube off by soaking overnight in mineral spirits then wiping with paper towels. Had some that I wanted even cleaner so ran them through the dishwasher in a basket. And, no, the wife never knew! 😈

Mine too. What a PIA. Worst peat is they wouldn't group in any of my rifles. Some of the worst ammo I ever used but many shooters like them. Maxi's forever!!

Mine too. What a PIA. Worst peat is they wouldn't group in any of my rifles. Some of the worst ammo I ever used but many shooters like them. Maxi's forever!!
I tried them before (2 shots) and I swear they keyholed . But soooo many people are into them I figured it was worth another go, thanks!

I've cleaned old lube off by soaking overnight in mineral spirits then wiping with paper towels. Had some that I wanted even cleaner so ran them through the dishwasher in a basket. And, no, the wife never knew! 😈
Good thinking! I actually stuck them in a bowl and poured near boiling water over them and it worked ok.

View attachment 260308
I cast alot of what you need, Stay away from bore butter (chap stik) . You need a good lube and a Dura Felt wad over the powder pay for the shipping $13.00 small flat rate priority and I will send you some Lubed Accurate I 50 Accurate bullets some/ Lee REALS /Dura felt wads (50-54) I use the 54 dry or lubed /Also some 490 RB with patches PM me if interested /Ed

I've shot bunches of them in my 1/48 twist TC and they shot well, beyond 100 yards even .They are a type of Minie with a heavy skirt so they handle heavy powder charges well. I would think an over powder wad would be detrimental??

Smear a little fresh lube one over the old & shoot'em. That's what Hornady advises. Used to say so on the package.

I've shot bunches of them in my 1/48 twist TC and they shot well, beyond 100 yards even .They are a type of Minie with a heavy skirt so they handle heavy powder charges well. I would think an over powder wad would be detrimental??
Agreed, really didn’t see a need for an overpowder patch. They’re a hollow base, I figured it wants to expand with gas…

Soak in mineral spirits overnight, gently shake, and pour off the sludge. Re-lube and shoot. I dip lube, but you can smear on also.

ADK Bigfoot

Back