• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Shooter back to black powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcouger

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I turned 81 last month and am looking for a new project or two to keep me busy. It's been 50 years since I shot any black powder guns. I had two a Remington 1858 Army kit from Dixie Gun Works and a beer can caliber motor made from a piece of drive shaft tubing. The mortar threw a can full of dirt over an ounce of FFG about a half-mile with a rapid whirring noise as the soft drink can tumbled end over end in its 45-degree trajectory across my pasture,

I have an almost finished .54 caliber Hakin rifle kit, I started 45 years ago, and a couple of economy 50 cal. Knight Bighorn rifles. I picked up the pair of Bighorns in a pawn shop for less than the 4x Leupold scope one of them sported was worth. One uses shotgun primers, which I have, so I need to get some powder, ball, and caps to see if the rifles shoot worth a damn.

In light of the current shortage of primers, percussion caps, and almost everything else I have given a lot of thought to designing and building a modern wheel lock/flintlock using ferrocerium and a hardened steel striker in a lock that can be made almost waterproof. Waterproofing something as hygroscopic as black powder in a firearm that has so many openings and requires freely moving parts will be a challenge, if not a bridge too far.

Gordon

Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws. - Plato

I turned 81 last month and am looking for a new project or two to keep me busy. It's been 50 years since I shot any black powder guns. I had two a Remington 1858 Army kit from Dixie Gun Works and a beer can caliber motor made from a piece of drive shaft tubing. The mortar threw a can full of dirt over an ounce of FFG about a half-mile with a rapid whirring noise as the soft drink can tumbled end over end in its 45-degree trajectory across my pasture,

I have an almost finished .54 caliber Hakin rifle kit, I started 45 years ago, and a couple of economy 50 cal. Knight Bighorn rifles. I picked up the pair of Bighorns in a pawn shop for less than the 4x Leupold scope one of them sported was worth. One uses shotgun primers, which I have, so I need to get some powder, ball, and caps to see if the rifles shoot worth a damn.

In light of the current shortage of primers, percussion caps, and almost everything else I have given a lot of thought to designing and building a modern wheel lock/flintlock using ferrocerium and a hardened steel striker in a lock that can be made almost waterproof. Waterproofing something as hygroscopic as black powder in a firearm that has so many openings and requires freely moving parts will be a challenge, if not a bridge too far.

Gordon

Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws. - Plato
Greetings from East Texas. Interesting projects. Enjoy the forum.

Welcome. For caps I suggest size 1075 regular (not magnum) and fffG black powder from Graffs online. A thousand caps will last a long time, and they fit most anything except the large musket size or the large 209 shotgun size. For round balls,Track of the Wolf has the most sizes! fffG can be used on most any long gun or pistol or in the pan of a flintlock.

Back