• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Navy Arms mule ear rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This weekend I traded into one of these at a local gunshow. It needs some work but looks like an interesting rifle. A quick internet search says some were made by Pendersoli but I do not see their mark on the barrel. Is anyone familiar with these? This rifle is 50 caliber, missing rear sight and has a damaged or modified half cock notch. I've not checked the bore yet but this is a fairly light rifle and I'm thinking 50 caliber might be a little ambitious for the design. I can see this having a lot of potential rebarreled in 36-40 caliber of even 28ga smooth bore. Does anyone know what rear sight it should have had?

NEEDS PHTOGRAPHS EMOJI.jpg

LD

No idea on the rear sight, but if I recall correctly those didn't have a half cock, the model was named The Country Boy.

This weekend I traded into one of these at a local gunshow. It needs some work but looks like an interesting rifle. A quick internet search says some were made by Pendersoli but I do not see their mark on the barrel. Is anyone familiar with these? This rifle is 50 caliber, missing rear sight and has a damaged or modified half cock notch. I've not checked the bore yet but this is a fairly light rifle and I'm thinking 50 caliber might be a little ambitious for the design. I can see this having a lot of potential rebarreled in 36-40 caliber of even 28ga smooth bore. Does anyone know what rear sight it should have had?
I bought a couple of them at a gunshow in Denver years ago. As far as I know they were all made by Pedersoli although not all marked as such. Mine were marked Navy Arms Country Boy or something like that. I think they came in .32, .36, .45, and .50. I had a .50 and a .36. Both shot well, very small, light little guns, my grandkids learned to shoot with them. My grandson owns them now. They’re nearly perfect for kids.

Here is a drawing I made, after a friend and I were done cleaning and working on a Poor Boy.
The owner allowed us to take the lock down and take measurements. As you can see, the lock does have
a half position on the tumbler..

Attachments

• Mule ear.jpeg
    Mule ear.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 0
Pictures of the rear sight on my .36 cal. but no name on it The barrel is marked Pedersoli but no model.
IMG_0532.jpeg
IMG_0532.jpeg
The lock plate says Navy Arms Co.
IMG_0536.jpeg
IMG_0535.jpeg
Navy Arms
IMG_0534.jpeg
IMG_0534.jpeg
IMG_0531.jpeg

Mine has lock plate markings an trigger guard like the picts Grenadier1758 posted. I think mine is also a kit because the lock inletting is rougher than I think a factory would have released. Other than an underhammer this has to be one of the simplest locks I've ever seen . I need to recut the half cock notch. Mine has a pinned barrel unlike the barrel wedge of BruceS example. Brass nosecap, not pewter . I'm thinking one of these rear sights would work. I try to the Log Cabin Shop every few months.
Rear sight.jpg

Attachments

• Mule Ear.JPG
    Mule Ear.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
My Mule Ear from Navy Arms has a different rear sight and different stamping on the lock plate. Mine is a 36 caliber kit gun from about 1982.

View attachment 267233

The shape of the lock plate is different and mine has a pewter nose cap.
My 45 caliber Navy Arms looks basically the same as yours. I believe mine was a kit gun, as the barrel only has the markings "PP," "CL 45," and a 4 digit serial number. The lock on mine is marked exactly like yours.

Does anyone who owns a Navy Arms Mule Ear rifle have the original manual or the maximum/minimum powder charge data? Pedersoli had extremely limited information when I contacted them.

Here's a couple pictures of my 45 mule ear. It has a barrel pin instead of a wedge, and a ramped semi buckhorn rear sight as opposed to screw adjustable sights I've seen on other examples.

I'm still working up loads for it, but I had some decent results with a starter load and maxi balls from Track of the Wolf. I haven't worked up any good roundball loads yet, but I had a couple of suggestions from Pedersoli.
20220528_143501.jpg
20220528_144105.jpg

Given the light weight of this rifle I think your shoulder will tell you when you start to approach the maximum loading. The old rule of thumb I was taught was the best load with black powder is going to be 1-2 times caliber. So for a 50 caliber rifle the best load will be somewhere between 50 and 100 gns of powder. Most of the time I find that a load around 1.5 times caliber works pretty well with round balls and black powder

Back