• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Maxis don't deform? Aww.. seeing is believing

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morehops52

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm a die head Maxi shooter, i know some don't like 'em and that's fine. One of the raps they get is that they go thru a deer like a bowling ball thru match sticks. little deformation and no expansion. I've only recovered one maxi and it was just as described by others. The nose was pushed a bit down into the groove. Well I finally recovered another one and it is a totally different story. This one shattered two heavy bones and lodged inside the skin. The deer dropped in it's tracks and was dead by the time I reloaded and walked up to it .
The original weight was 368 gr and the recovered weight is 278 gr or 75% weight retention. At it's widest point it measures 68 cal or 36% expansion. I'm not sure how a "lessor IMG_3871.jpgIMG_3872.jpgIMG_3873.jpg" bullet would've performed in this case but I've never had a deer go more than about 20 yards and most dropped in their tracks with my Maxis. Happy hunting.

I like round ball because it fits the historic aspects of the guns I shoot.
And these days I shoot smoothbore the most, conicals don’t work there.
However a well placed 1/2 inch hole is going to turn deer French, or hog or bear, ( venison used to mean any wild meat)
Failure of a shot is more often shooter not shot

You mean to tell me that they run away, never to be seen again???
😂, no no insult here. It comes from Ivanhoe by Scott. A Saxon a century after the conquest, is complaining that even good Saxon food is even ruined. Good Saxon swine becomes pork on a Norman’s table, cattle becomes beef and good deer become venison
So turning deer French is just an expression for me

It was 100% lead from Rotometals that I cast myself.
If you hadn't noticed Roto metals (PURE AIN'T) the BHN on my Roto metal pure is 8-9 on a Lee tester and 10.4 is what I call 20-1 for shooting long ! Can't say on a Cabin tree (sold mine) and went back to the Lee as it confirmed the Lee /Ed

If you hadn't noticed Roto metals (PURE AIN'T) the BHN on my Roto metal pure is 8-9 on a Lee tester and 10.4 is what I call 20-1 for shooting long ! Can't say on a Cabin tree (sold mine) and went back to the Lee as it confirmed the Lee /Ed
I hadn't been aware of that but I must say they're working for me. Thanks for the info

I gave up listening to what other people think decades ago. I've used maxis and had no issues whatsoever with them. I'd still use them today if I hadn't decided to go with roundballs out of a round ball suitable barrel. I just prefer the less modern stuff. My grandson still uses maxis in his flintlock. They work, there's no denying that. If someone else doesn't like them, his problem not yours.

Back