• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lock plate info

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royboy47

32 Cal
Reaction score
I attempting to build a traditions percussion rifle from a kit with missing parts. I'm looking for a lock plate and looking online I see some with a flat spring and some with coil spring. Help. Thanks

@royboy47 Which model rifle/kit are you building. Various CVA/Traditions rifles had different locks. Pictures are always helpful in this type of question.

Attachments

• 20240115_145728.jpg
    20240115_145728.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240115_145718.jpg
    20240115_145718.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240115_145712.jpg
    20240115_145712.jpg
  • 20240115_150101.jpg
    20240115_150101.jpg
  • 20240112_150741.jpg
    20240112_150741.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240112_150331.jpg
    20240112_150331.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240112_150235.jpg
    20240112_150235.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Looks like you've got a TC lock and stock and CVA/ Traditions barrel. Traditions/CVA/ Ardesa rifle have drums, which your barrel has provision for, while TC and Lyman rifles use a patent style breech. The lack of a hollow for the drum in the lock plateand the coil spring is another giveaway that you have a TC lock. You'd have to cut out a hollow in the plate for the drum to fit. I'd recommend trying to find a TC barrel. How well does the barrel fit the stock?

Several Investarms guns also slip a bolster over the lock as the TC does. But that certainly looks like a TC stock alright.

Dont see a tang unless it's in the stock for the pictures.

Looks like you've got a TC lock and stock and CVA/ Traditions barrel. Traditions/CVA/ Ardesa rifle have drums, which your barrel has provision for, while TC and Lyman rifles use a patent style breech. The lack of a hollow for the drum in the lock plateand the coil spring is another giveaway that you have a TC lock. You'd have to cut out a hollow in the plate for the drum to fit. I'd recommend trying to find a TC barrel. How well does the barrel fit the stock?
The barrel Hooks into the tang and fits the stock nice. Also the tank is maybe 3" long.

@royboy47, it appears that you may have the CVA stock, barrel, triggers and furniture while the lock is a T/C or Investarms lock. It is likely that a CVA lock for the CVA/Traditions Hawken would be the choice. The Lock you have is for a rifle with the chambered breech with snail. I agree with @ajbennettnc, but a better result would include the CVA/Traditions lock.

You said the barrel fits nicely. IMO, the cheapest and easiest thing to do with the parts you have would be to fit a powder drum to the barrel and notch the lockplate to clear it. **Assemble your lock and make sure the hammer throw (relation between the hammer striking cup and the nipple) will work before doing anything else.**

For more money and less effort, you could find a TC barrel here or the fleaBay. Don't buy anything without seeing good bore pictures.

How handy are you? You can also decide if you want a percussion or flintlock. You could build one just as easily as the other at this point.

Last edited:
Back