• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Colonial patchbox

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fifty Four

32 Cal
Reaction score
Fitted the brass plate to the end of the lid, but don't like the screw heads and would rather just file them off flush, like rivets. Any reason why I shouldn't do this?

I did that on the rifle I am working on. I also didn't like the screw head on the patchbox cover. I used a couple of small screws and just slightly chamfered the hole and filed the heads down. Looks like a couple of nails holding it on.

Or this.

Attachments

• IMG_2322.jpeg
    IMG_2322.jpeg
    569.5 KB · Views: 0
Based on some of what I've seen here and the magical "search" function, I went ahead and filed them off. I had countersunk a bit deeper than I ought to have, so there are rings around the heads, not bad, but a bit more filing will take care of most or all of that. Thanks to all who replied. This kit is all people say about them, and more. The quality is outstanding. Photos soon.

You can file screw heads off, but one thing to consider is that it's not historically correct. You see small screws and pins holding a brass piece on. Also if pins are used, I think they are iron the vast majority of the time and not brass.

Finally I would encourage you to study original work. The brass ends are typically made of pretty thin material and at least filed to a pretty thin edge at the perimeter of the lid. Many I see today are made of much too thick material. This looks clunky to my eye.

Jim

Well, if the man himself is telling me the screw heads should be left on, I guess I've got some more work to do with this lid. I have enjoyed every moment of thie process of putting this kit together, from communicating with Bree, to picking up my kit and meeting Jim, who was gracious as could be, (even giving us a tour of the shop and offering to put the box in the truck for me, even though I'm at least twice his size), to working on the actual gun itself. Quality, worth every penny.

Back