• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kaido's 240gr Conical is a Keeper for sure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you go with 777 I suspect you could get all the velocity you could possibly want.

I like to experiment, maybe load up a single chamber one of these days in the ROA and see how much you can put in there and what velocity. You could extrapolate to other revolvers.

I am not sure which is more indestructible, a 47 Walker or the ROA. ROA may (may) have metallurgy on its side but the Uberti has got some decent metallurgy and a heck of a lot of metal.

The Walker will hold more BP for sure but I wouldn't trust it with more than 40 grains and the Kaido. I have to use an off the gun cylinder loader and a hammer to get 35 grains and that 240 Kaido in an ROA cylinder.

I’ve been looking at the Hazard Waterproof cartridges as made by Crossen Cartridge formers. They’re compressed to a small degree but if the right powder cake were formed with say 30 grains of 4f and the 200 grain bullet above, it would be potent performer in the 1860 Army and of course the Remington. At least 45 acp levels…
Why is the powder cake formed in a taper instead of cylinder shape which has more volume ? Was this for the Thayere (sp) cartridge conversion chambers.

If you go with 777 I suspect you could get all the velocity you could possibly want.

I like to experiment, maybe load up a single chamber one of these days in the ROA and see how much you can put in there and what velocity. You could extrapolate to other revolvers.

I am not sure which is more indestructible, a 47 Walker or the ROA. ROA may (may) have metallurgy on its side but the Uberti has got some decent metallurgy and a heck of a lot of metal.
I inquired of an Uberti dealer some years back about the steel alloy used by Uberti in their receivers and was told it is 8620 equivalent which is plenty strong for black or smokeless loading but this steel alloy has the added benefit of being case harden-able.
I didn't ask if they used it in the cylinders of their revolvers though.
I'm pretty sure reading that Ballard rifle Co. of Cody Wyoming used 8620 in their rifles as well for smokeless pressure strength and case coloring ability.
I read ROA's use 4140 cm through out.
I could only get about 50 grains of 3F behind the 200 grain heeled base ACP bullet I swaged a bit to work in my Uberti Walker.
I had to about stand on them to get them seated deep enough to revolve even after swaging down the base band a bit to fit the cylinder chamber taper !
They shot high and a bit right but grouped well at 25 yards and I didn't get a chronograph reading.

Attachments

• IMG_2473.JPG
    IMG_2473.JPG
    293.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2475.JPG
    IMG_2475.JPG
    236.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2479.JPG
    IMG_2479.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2485.JPG
    IMG_2485.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Why is the powder cake formed in a taper instead of cylinder shape which has more volume ? Was this for the Thayere (sp) cartridge conversion chambers.
I think he may have done so to be historically accurate. I wondered the same thing. I may dink around with this at some point. It’s interesting. He has a video in which he lays six cartridges in a saucer full of water. Leaves them there for a few minutes before loading them up and firing six full power shots. Kind of cool.

The Outlaw Kid from the other bp forum made paper cartridges that were perfect cylinders and used a pin gauge as his mandrel. They were really well made. He’s up in your country now. Interesting guy.

I’ll bet those loads were really hustling out of the old walker.

The 47 Walker is a seriously impressive piece of iron. It just dares you to maximize what you can get out of it (once in a while at least)

I have been trying to categorize it as its not anything normal as we are familiar with today. 450 Nitro Express Double Barrel comes to mind.

The 47 Walker is a seriously impressive piece of iron. It just dares you to maximize what you can get out of it (once in a while at least)

I have been trying to categorize it as its not anything normal as we are familiar with today. 450 Nitro Express Double Barrel comes to mind.
What stood out to me when I got her going was the unique sound of it's report, reminded me of the distinctive sound only a Harley Davidson or custom clone motor cycle makes.
I'm looking forward to getting a new front sight and loading lever latch on the ole girl and I'd like to make a cross draw half holster for it as well. I'm thinking a full holster would look more like a saddle bag or rifle scabbard.
Never cared for the spring latch holding up the loading lever. If it's strong enough to keep up the lever under recoil one has a really hard time getting it loose for loading with the bare fingers .

This bullet over 30+ grains of 4f or triple 7 is an excellent choice for thin skinned medium game like whitetail deer… very accurate in the ROA and also the Uberti colts.View attachment 306266
Sheesh, that big ole flat meplat would hit like a broad axe me thinks ! Wonder how straight a line it would track plowing through meat and bone? Kinda looks like it wouldn't take much to make it tumble being short and fat although if cast of # 2 lead/tin/antimony it might hold it's shape pretty well, Kieth bullets sure seem to. That slight radius on the nose might just be a good tiller to keep her lined out !

Sheesh, that big ole flat meplat would hit like a broad axe me thinks ! Wonder how straight a line it would track plowing through meat and bone? Kinda looks like it wouldn't take much to make it tumble being short and fat although if cast of # 2 lead/tin/antimony it might hold it's shape pretty well, Kieth bullets sure seem to. That slight radius on the nose might just be a good tiller to keep her lined out !
I’ve swatted a couple coyotes with it but nothing bigger so far. Goes through a yote like its a paper bag.😎

I would expect excellent performance from this one on deer though. All of my best handgun bullets have that same wide flat nose and they generally make a long wide straight wound channel. If cast of an alloy, say 30 or even 20:1 they barely change shape unless they hit substantial bone.

Back