• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just a simple horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Your flasks are beautiful! I hope that you can post more pictures of individual flasks.

It is just s simple flat horn, like thousands still exist, and they are cheap in Europe. They have been made in home work, semi-industrially or by craftsmen.
The horn is only 7 inches long. Probably a day horn.
But this horn has a very special cord.
The previous owner told me that the horn is from the Black Forst area and a maiden braided this ribbon from a strand of her long blond hair for her lover.

20230802_064712.jpg

Last edited:
20230802_065157.jpg20230802_064931.jpg20230802_064943.jpg

These simple horns without decoration have their own beauty . ....... the beauty of a functional tool.
The flat horns shown above are rather small pocket horns.
The third one is from Scandinavia and had a small lead ball inside (.38 cal. ). Maybe it was used as a horn for bullets.

I think that a lot of the simple horns are home made. The right one in the upper picture is rather crude. So I think this horn was not made by a craftsman. The left one is more elaborate.

Last edited:
Flat pressed "Plain Jane" cow horn with a carved fish head. Supposedly relatively common in Sandinavia, Northern Europe and the Baltics. In the book for the exhibition "Drei Jahrhunderte Europäische Jagdpulverbehälter" of the -Musée National D'Histoire et D'Art- Luxembourg from 1995, a similar powder horn is shown, which is said to be typical for the North Sea regions, but also for the area of the Baltic States. Dated around 1750. I think my horn is not that old, and especially not so well preserved.Pulverhorn geschnitzter Fischkopf.jpg

Last edited:
I recently got an undecorated horn from an antiques dealer in Marseille, France.
I was told the horn was in the posess of a family in the french "Massive Central". The horn belonged to the grandfather who had passed long time ago and had been a passionate hunter.
Fairy tales of a dealer?

Nobody can say for sure, if this horn is really a continental horn or if it came from the the french colonies in North Africa. It seems to be old, but not worthful. For me it is just another plain horn.

(For comparison an english powder flask with a hunter and his dog)

20231118_164417-1.jpg

20231118_164503-1.jpg

20231118_164433-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
It is just s simple flat horn, like thousands still exist, and they are cheap in Europe. They have been made in home work, semi-industrially or by craftsmen.
The horn is only 7 inches long. Probably a day horn.
But this horn has a very special cord.
The previous owner told me that the horn is from the Black Forst area and a maiden braided this ribbon from a strand of her long blond hair for her lover.
“Simply“ beautiful!

The top and the basis are made of flat horn pieces and are attached with wooden nails.
The spout is made of brass.

Such simple powder flasks seem to have been rather popular.

Back