• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Japanese Matchlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdjensen123

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi there,
I have just gotten a Japanese Matchlock (Tanegashima) and am researching it. Here are my current results.

The barrel is signed in archaic Kanji letters: Sasshu (Satsuma province, now modern Kagoshima prefecture) Juu (resident of) Tiara (family name) Yoshinori (first name) Saku (made this).

The top of the barrel has the mon / kamon / family crest of the Watanabe family (three circles with a rectangular bar beneath). It is the more rarer form of Watanabe clan. Three cursive silver inlays of Kangi letters might say: Shu (Lord) Ichi Yo (or possibly dai, ro, etc). I can't find him listed anywhere. He was the one to have the gun made.

I found a Yoshinori swordmaker working 1716 in Satsuma. Swordmakers sometimes also made matchlocks, but not conclusive. The archaic style of the letters dates it about 1580 - 1800 period.

Satsuma Tsutsu (matchlocks) are typically worth about $2900 if intact. They are the matchlock variety that closely follow the original matchlock that entered Japan in the 1500's. Tanegashima island is in this Sasshu (Satsuma) province in the south tip of Japan. This Satsuma barrel seems to have been married to a "newer" stock ca 1830, and the lock parts are numbered like the Numbered Tohoku type guns. The barrel has hallmarks of Edo period Satsuma manufacture. Curiously, there is no provision for pinning the barrel to the stock, I guess the barrel was just banded to the stock, or was unfinished.

Sincerely,
Bill Jensen
wdjensen123 at hotmail dot com

MyMon.jpg

Yoshinori.jpg

Good research :thumbsup:

I bought one that needed rescuing, Magnus Wiberg did the restoration and got Mr Shigeo Sugawa to translate the text. Seems mine doesn't have the makers name but the prefecture and school. Yours having the "made this" text is a real plus.

I have bands and pins, don't know if it means anything :hmm:

best regards

Squire Robin

Dear Squire Robin,

How much did it cost to get your expert to translate for you? How do I get in touch with him?

Sincerely,
Bill Jensen

Hi there,

I have a higher resolution picture of your linked page. Satsuma guns are a more valuable province. They closely match the original Portuguese guns, so I hear. You can just barely read the text on this page!

Sincerely,
Bill Jensen

Satsuma.jpg

Bill,
If I recall right Magnus simply mailed Mr.Sugawa that was kind enough to help out. Doubt there was any money involved. Why dont give Mr. Sugawa a mail and ask him?
Here is his site:[url] http://japaneseweapons.com/[/url]
Regards,
ARILAR :grin: :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooops,
Seems you already found Mr.Sugawas site. Well....good luck.
IMG_1409.jpg

ARILAR :grin: :thumbsup:

Hi there,

Mr. Sugawa thinks it is a Satsuma gun dating from late 1600's to early 1700's. He was very kind to have entertained my questions!

I have a better picture of the barrel with all the markings. It has a Pauwlonia tree with 2 lucky Phoenix birds landing in the top of the Empress Tree of Chinese fables.
Barrel.jpg

Sincerely,
Bill Jensen

The top of the barrel has been translated as Genichi Saku (made this) Possibly the engraver's name.
GenichiSaku.jpg

Back