• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Howdy from Iowa

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the Forum!

I'm not too far away from you...a bit North of Lacrosse, WI. Lived in Cedar Rapids and Marshalltown for a spell several decades ago. Used to hunt Area 9 and 10 when a non-res bow license was still reasonable. Have a sister that's lived in Dubuque for a long time. So very familiar with NE Iowa.

Hope to see many posts from you, especially some pics of that finished gun...and maybe some of those big, fat Iowa deer it's sure to take!

Spikebuck said:
Welcome to the Forum!

I'm not too far away from you...a bit North of Lacrosse, WI. Lived in Cedar Rapids and Marshalltown for a spell several decades ago. Used to hunt Area 9 and 10 when a non-res bow license was still reasonable. Have a sister that's lived in Dubuque for a long time. So very familiar with NE Iowa.

Hope to see many posts from you, especially some pics of that finished gun...and maybe some of those big, fat Iowa deer it's sure to take!

Thanks! Yeah, I'm just a few minutes from Dubuque when I'm at my cabin. I posted some pictures in the builder's bench tonight. I've got a RB mold and a new Lee furnace coming, but I can't seem to find any caps around here to make her go boom!

I won't be around for a few days anyway. I have to make an emergency run to Texas in the morning. My dad is having open heart surgery either Wednesday or Thursday, so I'm picking up my two sisters and we are going to be with Mom while Dad goes under the knife. He's been having some chest pain for a couple weeks. They found four arteries that are 90 percent blocked. The surgeon said he's a heart attack waiting to happen. The good news is his heart and the rest of him is strong, so he's a good candidate for the surgery, even though he's 83.

Anyway, I'll check back in when I get back unless I can get on Mom's laptop when I'm down there.

Welcome to the Forum. Good choice for your first muzzle loader. I started with the same gun, only not a kit, back in 75. You said you needed caps and powder, try Central Hardware in Dubuque, or Upper Mississippi Valley Mercantile in Davenport. Another place is Fin and Feather in Iowa City, but that would be a long drive for you. I lived in Dyersville for about 15 years, but have called Oxford home for the past 25 years.
Best wishes for your Dad. They can do some amazing things with open hart surgery. Leon

Back