• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with Designing a Youth Muzzleloading/Heritage Arts Program

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I am a 4-H Youth Development educator in NYS.I am working with one of my volunteers, Mr. Kenyon Simpson, to design a youth muzzleloading/heritage arts program. This program will meet once a month for about 2 hours. I am looking for suggestions for good beginner projects to get kids engaged in these activites. My concern is less with shooting (that kind of sells itself), but is more about tangible projects that are good for kids (teens/pre-teens). I want projects that are easy enough for kids to create something useful and practical, but challenging enough so that they feel like they really accomplished something.
We really focus on building on small successes, so I don't expect these kids to create a masterpiece in the first meeting, but would like them to learn skills that they can develop and build upon. I know that there are a lot of folks on here who have experience teaching youth these type of projects, and I would be open and appreciative of any advice and/or resources that you could provide. Thank you all!

Last edited:
We are interested in creating objects that they can use with their shooting activities. For instance, I really think that a youth would be excited to load their firearm with a ball starter that they made.

Two hours once a month - not much time to start/finish a project. Might consider using native plants to dye cloth items (club T-shirts perhaps). Walnuts, various barks, plants work well with white cotton. Even tie-dye results in unique patterns. Boiling over an open fire is primitive. Have kids bring stuff they've gathered themselves.

Anything done with deer antlers - scrimshaw, whistles, powder measures, etc. Pintrest has lots of ideas.

Firestarting - lint from clothes dryer, bit of flint, steel and demo.

Small leather pouch - pre cut leather w/hole punched, leather lacing and lacing needle (flat type, not sharp) Easy to get done in two hours. (or knife sheath, etc.)

Cook something historic on a fire. Kids love fires. Teaching how do safely set up, use, and clean up a campfire is always good. Melt some bullets for the guns they'll shoot.
Don't cook hot dogs, nor s'mores. Have fun and make it fun. Enjoy !!

You have to manage well. Make sure you have enough help....
You do not want a bunch of 8 year-olds sword fighting with bench chisels.:rolleyes:

Powder Horns.....
Horn cups/spice containers...
Bags...
Belts and buckles....
Center seam Moccasins...
Leggings...
Matchcoats...
Tomahawks...
Ball clubs...
hog hair wisks/gun picks...
Fire irons/tri-pods/wooden fire sets from forked branches...
Antler tools stuff....
Flint and steel/fire kits....
wooden tent pegs/stakes...
wooded dog bone rope cinches...
powder measures metal tube/river cane/deer antler

There's lots of things from very simple to complex...

Thanks @54ball! All of the kids are 12 and over, and we'll have around 15 involved, with 4-5 adult volunteers. In 4-H, we are adamant about nothing being treated as a "weapon", and tend to steer clear of anything with that kind of connotation. It gets a little grey with living history, since a lot of "weapons" were also tools. However, I don't plan on teaching sword making :). One piece I toyed with the idea of was a gunstock battle club, I think it would be a neat project that would incorporate simple woodworking, art, blacksmithing and living history. However, I can't quite talk myself into it since it was primarily a fighting implement. Still, a lot of great projects that you mentioned there, some of which I have never heard of.

I'll be learning a lot of this as well, since almost all of it will mean new skills for me. However, I have a couple of knowledgeable volunteers, and a few inexperienced but eager adults as well (myself included). With that said, if anyone is in the Upstate/Saratoga New York region and would like to share some of their skills, I would love to have you :)

Thanks again!

For a starting project loading blocks are useful and can be made quickly. Involves sawing, drilling, filing, sanding/finishing and possibly a little carving (or wood burning) to identify with initials and date. Everyone’s can be unique, but all would be useful when shooting. Maybe add casting lead balls if not deemed ‘hazardous’ (or consider not toxic casting metal). Mix up some homemade patch lube….

For a starting project loading blocks are useful and can be made quickly. Involves sawing, drilling, filing, sanding/finishing and possibly a little carving (or wood burning) to identify with initials and date. Everyone’s can be unique, but all would be useful when shooting. Maybe add casting lead balls if not deemed ‘hazardous’ (or consider not toxic casting metal). Mix up some homemade patch lube….
I love the Loading Block idea. Easy to get started, and then we can send them home for sanding, and finish at the next meeting. Easy to personalize as well with the wood burning. Great idea!

Check out the “Green river Boys“ program, it’s outlined several activities similar to many mentioned here and might be the kind of thing to help. Thanks for all you and Kenyon are doing!

Latest posts

Back