• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help Needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Novice

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi folks. First time poster here looking for info on identifying flintlocks, two pistols and a musket. I was directed here by the folks at[url] doublegunshop.com[/url].

My boss brought them to the office and asked me to find out anything I could about their age and/or where they were made. And of course, “How much are they worth?” I haven't a clue about these guns other than what I read on the internet, so bear with me. All three are inoperative and in rough shape.

#1 is a pistol with rifled bore, round barrel 14" long, no proof marks except for a "77" (or LL upside down) on a band that goes around the end of the wood and the barrel. That band is about midway between the breech and the muzzle. It has a brass trigger guard and grip cap. No engraving is visible anywhere and no checkering anywhere. Bore is 0.60". It has a blade sight near the muzzle. Missing the ram rod.

#2 is also a pistol, but has a smooth bore of 0.60". Barrel is a tad less than 7" long and is six-sided (can't remember the word for that, but it's not octagonal). Barrel and trigger guard are brass. There's a little bit of engraving here and there and the name "SHARPE" on the lock plate and "LONDON" on the top of the barrel. Wood extends all the way to the end of the barrel. Missing the ram rod. Trigger guard tang extends back along the grip normally and in front of the guard is decoratively shaped like a torch or a pineapple sitting in a fancy vase. There is no cap on the end of the grip. Nice checkering on the grip.

#3 is a long gun. I guess you'd call it a musket, as it's a smooth bore. Diameter is 0.70". It appears to be a military gun; there's a bayonet on the muzzle. It comes off with a twist and pull to get the "h" shaped slot of the rear of the bayonet over a protrusion on the barrel. Barrel is 41.5" long. One piece stock extends to within 3" if the muzzle, leaving room for the bayonet ring to slide onto the barrel. There is an oval brass escutcheon inletted into the wood at the top of the grip and a fair amount of gold or brass wire inletted into the wood around it in a fancy pattern. This wire thread is also inletted into the underside of the stock about half way to the muzzle. The trigger guard tang extend to the rear about 5" and to the front about 2", again in a fancy "pineapple in a vase" fashion. Bayonet is 16" long and essentially triangular in cross-section.

I know all this sound dumb, but knowing nothing about these guns makes it impossible for me to focus on the right features. If they were side by side shotguns, I'd feel more knowledgeable. But I may as well be describing a nuclear reactor. The guns belong to a family in the Boston area but the boss does not know how long they have been in the family. I'm in central NC.

So, any takers out there? Or is there a suggested expert in my area that could provide help? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Novice, it will be helpful, when you can make some photos.So take a digicam and we will see, if we can help you.
:hatsoff:

As undertaker indicated, a few pictures of each gun would help a lot.
Try to get at least one picture of the lock, trigger guard and the whole gun for each one of them.

You will need to sign on to Photobucket, or a similar photo downloading website and some instructions for posting photos are in our "Using the Forum" area towards the top of the index.

If you still have problems posting photos, there are a number of folks here that will help you.

zonie :)

I'll take a wild guess with the hints you gave. #1 I don't have a clue. #2 is a english pistol, probably 1815- 1825. #3 is a new england militia musket. Tell him to not "clean them up" as all they value they have goes down the drain at that point. #3 probably has some real value, depending on condition. Gonna have to have pictures to really tell you anything. If you want to email them to me I can post them here for you.
[email protected]

Thanks for the offers and comments, gentlemen. I took a bunch of pictures but will need a bit of time to select the best and edit them for best effect. I'll put them on Photobucket if I can figure it out or send them to Mike and let him do it if he's still willing. More to come. A promotion hinges on this. :grin:

I'm with Mike, the wire inlay instantly made me think "New England".

Forgot to add that I'm well aware of the "damage" done when old guns are cleaned up or restored. I will definitely pass that info on to the boss.

Folks, I took Mike Brooks up on his offer to look at these or post photos for me. After looking at the photos I sent to him, he came up with the following:

#1 is French or Belgian, made for export, mid to late 1800's.

#2 is English, 1815-1825.

#3 is a New England military musket, circa 1800-1815, with a lock from the 1750's.

The guy is good. He got two of the three right before seeing the photos. See his post above. I'll pass the info to the boss.

I'll defer to Mike for the show and tell. He has the photos and an account at Photobucket already set up.

Mike Brooks indicated that one of these guns may be of significant value. Who would the owner turn to in order to have them appraised and/or sold? The guns are located in central North Carolina.

Contact me off the board and I can give you a name of a gentleman in North Carolina who is willing to give you some help with them both as to appraising and selling them.You need someone who is used to handling antique guns and who lives in that area.. I agree with Mike here and without seeing them the long gun sounds like the best of the three.To echo Mike, DON'T TRY TO CLEAN OR DISASSEMBLE THSE GUNS.Leave them in as found condition.
Tom Patton

Back