• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Head scratcher

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am at a loss on this one because I’ve never seen it. But, I’m sure it is easily identified. Anyway, my dad has gone into what I call papaw mode. He likes to go hunting here and there and check our property lines and cameras and such. He hunts on his terms I suppose. Anyway, he is also giving his BP stuff to me. One of the items he gave me was a deer hunter by traditions. It’s in pretty dang good shape considering it’s been in the safe for lord knows how long. So long in fact that he had forgotten that he had it. I know all the ins and outs of what I have but I can’t figure out what kind of nipple he has converted this to. I’d like to get it back to its original state instead of a conversion. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Anthony

Attachments

• IMG_1735.jpeg
    IMG_1735.jpeg
    1,009.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1736.jpeg
    IMG_1736.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Thank you for the the information. I’d never seen one of those. I have spare nipples so a replacement will be easily found.

Anthony
You’ll want to verify the thread size and pitch. I’m pretty sure your Deer Hunter will need a metric nipple.

You should be able to turn the knurled cap of that Mag-Spark off with your fingers and determine whether it uses a rifle primer or a 209. It might be a handy fallback for you if you run short of caps.

Have fun with it!

Notchy Bob

"paw paw" mode?!?!?! o_O
Yeah, he’s become more all about the experience of being in the outdoors and going hunting than the actual hunt itself. I can say that I get into papaw mode too (I am a 46 year old one at that). So, I get it honest. That’s truly what it’s all about. He likes to scout and check the cameras. He recently purchased a side by side to check the back 40 and every other place that he can get to. He’s stubborn as mule and tough as an old pine knot. He is the papaw and I’m the pepaw, but I call him Dad, unless I’m picking on him. He’s has slowed down recently, which is fine with me, he’s earned it.

Anthony

He’s has slowed down recently
That's when a lot of us slip a little into Paw Paw mode. Started with me when I turned 80 and realized I couldn't do a lot of things I used to do. We usually have a lot of stuff too. So far I have gifted three rifles to deserving younger friends, who I know will use and cherish them just as I have.

I put one of those mag sparks on my TC 12 gauge barrel. They use a 209 primer and puts out a heck of a
flame. They keep everything dry on that end but they're a pain to use. At half cock there isn't room to unscrew
the cap to put a new primer in. So now your at full cock with the barrel loaded to put in a new primer.
You better hold on tight to the hammer to lower it and put it into half cock. The only reason I bought it was for
water fowling.
Then there's this thing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174677838578

Back