• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Have both T/C 50 & T/C 54. Which would you choose for deer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I made it to the range today AND made a decision. Feel free to skip to the bottom if you'd prefer as much of the following detail may be boring but I need to document the results somehow :wink:.

At 50 yards, my first shot with the Hawken was just for kicks (no serious aiming...hey, I've never shot a muzzleloader before :idunno: ) but noticed using a 0.018" patch made for very difficult loading. The next two shots using a 0.015" patch instead (much easier loading) and this time aiming were within 2.5" of each other.

The first two shots with the New Englander were within 0.75" of each other using a 0.015" patch.

All 50 yard shots were with 60 grains of Goex 2f and cleaned between each shot with a rubbing alcohol patch followed by a dry patch. Lots of fouling in the Hawken. Very little in the New Englander.

At 100 yards, both rifles shot below the target with 60 grains of 2f. At 70 grains, I hit the target once with both rifles. At 80 grains, hit again once with both rifles.

Honestly at 100 yards, I'd want to upgrade the sights. It was hard to feel confident about the better "group" when the front sight covers so much of the target. I shoot a peep on my Savage 99 and like it.

A few shortcomings quickly became apparent at the range: 1) A sturdy range rod would be helpful. 2)The ball starter I have fits in the 54 but not in the 50...a smaller unit is on the way :wink:. 3) A nipple pick is a must. I had to remove the nipple a few times as a handful of cap-only fires occurred. Cleaning the nipple and adding a few loose grains of powder below the nipple helped. 4) A proper nipple wrench would make life easier than the open end wrench I had.

So all in all, a good day at the range. Thanks guys for all your responses.

Oh...almost forgot....the decision :doh:. I'm going with the...New Englander. I like the Hawken but the "svelteness" of the New Englander wins me over. Took it a step further and just picked up a used 54 New Englander barrel on Ebay for $99. Figure I'll basically do the same type of comparison with the two barrels as I did with the two guns...that is after I find a peep for the New Englander. Kind of hoping I can get the 54 cal barrel shooting as good if not better than the 50 cal. I'd like the extra insurance of a larger ball given the choice.

well there you go, you figured it out then bought a new barrel...

yep, you're hooked by the bug
Soon enough you will be looking at a full safe and thinking 'when did I get so many guns...?'

I have both plus others and it's really hard to decide which one gets to accompany me out in the bush. The easiest way is to draw straws :thumbsup:

This year my Lyman GPR perc .54 won :haha:

BTW, black powder muzzle loader shoosting is extremely addictive and results in continuous purchasing of other BP guns and accouterments.
Thankfully you found this forum where all the other addicts hang out. :metoo: and welcome :hatsoff:

The answer to your "puzzling" question is an equally "puzzling" answer.... ask the deer.....Fred

I have a .54 Renegade and a .50 New Englander. My flintlock is also a .54, and that is my preferred deer rifle. But once I got the New Englander built I never again took the .54 Renegade deer hunting. It's usually very cold, my fingers are stiff, and I'm wearing mittens or gloves (or gloves under mittens when it's below 0°F. I don't like set triggers and tight triggerbows for hunting. The lighter weight, better stock (mine was a kit I fit to myself as best I cound) and the single trigger make it a better hunter in my conditions.

I wouldn't fee underequipped with either the .54 Hawkin or the .50 New Englander. Which one hunts better is your choice and we really can't help you. Do you walk, stalk, sit, use cover, have long open lanes/range? Many, many variables.

I sit on a stump or carry a seat in and have taken bucks at 10 yards with my New Englader. But I like to get into cover and seldom have anything as far as 60 yards available.

Thanks guys and yeah, the bug seems to have bitten me.

Received the 54 cal barrel today and boy do I like the lighter weight! Hoping I can get a PRB to shoot accurate out of it. Not sure I'd want to shoot anything much heavier out of a light weight gun.

Want to get back to the range soon :thumbsup:

Back