• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

firing cone troubles Part Deux

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After conversations with Track of the Wolf on what cone and gun make and model was involved, they were ordered and very quickly delivered.

When the cones were installed, much to my surprise, the wrench that works on every firing cone in every percussion revolver I own did not fit. The shoulders on the cone were wider than the original Uberti, Pietta, or Slixshot cones.

Fortunately, in the tool box was a wrench that fit.

Cones installed, loaded and capped with 18 grains volume FFFg, ¼” lubed wad and the ball just clearing the cylinder mouth.

BUT the cones were too short by a half turn and required removing a loaded and capped cylinder, removing the caps that were driven tight on the cones, giving a half turn out on each one and recapping using the removed CCI#11 caps. That solved the problem and sighting in commenced.
A very sketchy exercise.

This was more of a sight adjustment than shooting for group experiment but with a little Kentucky, Tennessee and a bit of North Carolina windage it was satisfactory. At least what was being shot at mostly got hit.

Very frustrating day but there is some copper wire in the odds and ends bin to use for spacers. A job for tomorrow...perhaps.

Please tell me when the fun starts.

Respectfully submitted

After conversations with Track of the Wolf on what cone and gun make and model was involved, they were ordered and very quickly delivered.

When the cones were installed, much to my surprise, the wrench that works on every firing cone in every percussion revolver I own did not fit. The shoulders on the cone were wider than the original Uberti, Pietta, or Slixshot cones.

Fortunately, in the tool box was a wrench that fit.

Cones installed, loaded and capped with 18 grains volume FFFg, ¼” lubed wad and the ball just clearing the cylinder mouth.

BUT the cones were too short by a half turn and required removing a loaded and capped cylinder, removing the caps that were driven tight on the cones, giving a half turn out on each one and recapping using the removed CCI#11 caps. That solved the problem and sighting in commenced.
A very sketchy exercise.

This was more of a sight adjustment than shooting for group experiment but with a little Kentucky, Tennessee and a bit of North Carolina windage it was satisfactory. At least what was being shot at mostly got hit.

Very frustrating day but there is some copper wire in the odds and ends bin to use for spacers. A job for tomorrow...perhaps.

Please tell me when the fun starts.

Respectfully submitted
I'd just email TotW and see what they say about it.

They were very responsive to my emails about their nipples and #11 cap fit.

The length of the actual cone was short and the hamer would not detonate the caps?

I have numerous Uberti Walker and Dragoons, and some of them take the TotW "long" nipples and some work with the short. Maybe TotW has some kind of "longer" nipple with the same thread they can exchange

I'd just email TotW and see what they say about it.

They were very responsive to my emails about their nipples and #11 cap fit.

The length of the actual cone was short and the hamer would not detonate the caps?

I have numerous Uberti Walker and Dragoons, and some of them take the TotW "long" nipples and some work with the short. Maybe TotW has some kind of "longer" nipple with the same thread they can exchange
This is the percussion cylinder for my Richards -Mason conversion. I suspect it will be shot as an unmentionable more that C&B but contacting TOW about it is good idea. I want it to go both ways and work properly both ways.
The barrel was not lined so it can use regular ball or Colt Paper Cartridge Works .375" bullet either in a paper cartridge or an unmentionable.
Bunk

Back