• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Finished Colt .36

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

t.l.a.r. eng

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just finished a 1851 from DGW and this was my vision. I wanted a Colt .36 with a round barrel that would fit me and be something my wife could shoot allso.
The barrel was turned in the lathe and ALOT of file work was involved to get the revolver the way I wanted it to look. The rust bluing is a little rough but fits the overall vision of a pistol for shooting rather than display.
Alot of time spent getting the timing right and the nipples right for reliable ignition.
The first photo is what I recieved, the rest is how it looks now.
I don't have the balls to shoot it yet :shake: , but havw them on order so when it warms a bit, we can go shoot'n. :thumbsup:
Dixiegunworksadvertizement.jpg

HPIM0256.jpg

HPIM0257.jpg

So just woodwork on the grips, minor fitting to time, and finishing the frame is all that's required? I almost bought a kit once, but decided to get a finished gun to tune instead because of a sale at Cabelas.

The pistol could be fired straight from the box from DGW. Most of the work is outer cosmetics, but this one needed some attention to the timing as the bolt would not lock the cylinder in time at all. It would have been a lead spitter if left that way. The internal parts are finished.

One thing is that during the finishing and the barrel modifications, all the lettering, date codes, etc were removed. All that remains is the serial number on the lower frame. Works for me.

Nice job!
That's what makes each piece unique..your own personal touch.
Hope it shoots as nice as it looks!

Very nice job on the re-finishing of the Colt. Mine looked just like that and I re-worked it into the snubbie with the birds head grips shown here earlier. Mine also didn't have the timing issues.

Ogre, The final weight is 2bs.9oz. Suprised it only lost 4 oz. with the barrel mod. The gun feels like it balances real well this way.
I spent some time shaping the wood and the frame so when pointing at something with my eyes closed, the barrel would be pointing where I was "looking" when I opened my eyes.

Grey Whiskers, The barrel is tapered slightly towards the muzzle. The original dovetail for the loading lever was retained. Interestingly,the loading levers on these are curved upwards towards the catch, more noticeable with the smaller round barrel.

Mazo Kid, Nice looking birds head snubby! Looks like a fair amount of work, turned out really nice. :hatsoff:

A very beautiful gun. Looks like a minature Dragoon! I really like it, great job. :thumbsup:

.. jan 2 / 23:55

mazo kid,

how did you make that hammer ? it's perfect.

my biggest peeve with colts is the height and angle of the stock hammers which are uncomfortable for me.

~d~

.. jan 2 / 23:55

two comments:

t.l.a.r. eng,
that is a real work of art.. the only suggestion is might propose is a small accent of engraving - say, two pinstripes around the barrel just in before the front sight that could be filled with a gold solution.. i've always whated to add a signature accent like that to mine but don't have the tools nor skill.

---------------------------------

mazo kid,
how did you make your hammer ? it's perfect.

my biggest peeve with colts is the height and angle of the stock hammers which are uncomfortable for me.

~d~

LeMat1856 said:
.. jan 2 / 23:55mazo kid,how did you make that hammer ? it's perfect. my biggest peeve with colts is the height and angle of the stock hammers which are uncomfortable for me. ~d~
t.l.a.r.eng, Sorry, I did not mean to hijack your splendid accomplishment. As far as the hammer goes, I put it into my smooth jawed vise as a heat sink so as to not draw the temper from the sear notches. I only have a propane torch so used Mapp gas and heated the spur as hot as I could get it and tapped the end down. I actually would have liked to get it bent a bit more, but the web was getting thick and I couldn't get a red heat any closer. Thanks guys for the comments. It was my first attempt at rust bluing and while it came out so-so, I did learn a lot.

Latest posts

Back