• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Evans (Non)Repeating Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wanted to share this little oddball piece I acquired recently.

The barrel is from an Evans repeater. The chamber was cut off and a breechplug installed. It is the transitional model, built between early 1876 and mid 1877. Originally a 30" barrel musket configuration. Only about 150 of these were made. It still retains its military sights. The bore and rifling are in exceptional condition. The bore measures .425". I'm not sure of the wood. I was told Pecan. It has a generic, unmarked stirrup type front action lock.

The little thing weighs just a couple of ounces over 5 pounds. The barrel measures ~28" with a LOP of 14"

The under rib is painted wood.

Not sure of the build era. Could be on up into the mid 20th century.

I still need to fit a modern hickory ramrod to it, for loading. When I get that done I'm going to try some paper patched bullets since it has a faster twist. Excited to see how it does.

1769EB17-91F3-4F2C-87CE-9B48E9FD382A.jpeg
ACB462CE-10C1-441C-8959-0C12EEC905C1.jpeg
530AC2EF-BE0E-408E-940C-845A9F684C81.jpeg11F03ACA-86CA-4E71-A8E6-57905584437B.jpeg
9A6448AA-074A-49FD-B84D-E4310B2AEDCA.jpeg
909A53C8-0354-47DF-8935-9975C9B2B034.jpeg729323A9-5568-42BF-8040-3BF459286E20.jpeg

Thanks Bill. I couldn't get a picture of the bore good enough to do it justice, or I would have posted it as well. I would sure like to know the history behind all the pieces. I bet it would fill more than a few pages.

I really like that rifle. It looks to be well thought out, and well put together. I’ll bet it’ll be a shooter, too, when you find the right bullet.

That “cloverleaf” pattern on the drum is unique.

Thanks for showing it.

Notchy Bob

I just googled the Evans Repeating Rifle, I’d never heard of it until earlier today when you made this post. I think it was a pretty unique rifle, far ahead of its time. Can you imagine being use to a muzzleloader and then stumble on into town and see a rifle that held 26 rounds? Pretty cool.

I just googled the Evans Repeating Rifle, I’d never heard of it until earlier today when you made this post. I think it was a pretty unique rifle, far ahead of its time. Can you imagine being use to a muzzleloader and then stumble on into town and see a rifle that held 26 rounds? Pretty cool.
It would be a total mind job!

Wilford Brimley uses one in Crossfire Trail.

If they were chambered for a more powerful cartridge, they would have been a success. But they were confusing to load.

Back