• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WITHDRAWN English Trade Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Forgive me, knife terminology is not my forte, and after scanning the classifieds here, seeing all the different blades that leads me to believe being even more true. But after a little internet research I think I found what I’m looking for. It’s called an “English Trade Knife.” I’ll leave some pictures for examples. I want it to basically do everything, cut patches, open stuff up (not me) and the more I look at the fancy ones. The good ole basic looking ones keep on drawing me in. Again steel quality and what not I don’t know much of. But my budget is $200 +/- thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_0556.jpeg
    IMG_0556.jpeg
    979.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0553.jpeg
    IMG_0553.jpeg
    764.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0552.jpeg
    IMG_0552.jpeg
    994 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0555.jpeg
    IMG_0555.jpeg
    858.1 KB · Views: 0
I have an English trade “scalper” from Kyle Willyard/Old Dominion Forge, and would recommend his work very highly, both for authenticity and quality. I’m pretty sure he still makes these within your price range. I don’t think he is a member of this forum, but he has a really nice website with all of his products pictured and described.

I would also strongly recommend contacting @Runewolf1973 right here on this forum. If he does not check in on this thread, you can easily find him with a search. Runewolf made an English scalper for me that has everything you want in a high quality, authentic reproduction.

Another master cutler on this forum is @tallpine . I don’t specifically remember seeing an English trade knife of the type you want from his shop, but it would not hurt to ask. Tallpine copied an original handmade trapper’s knife for me, from a picture and description in a book. It is an exact replica, the spirit and image of the original, and the quality of his workmanship is first-rate.

I would like to point out that the original English trade knives of the type pictured in post #1 were classed as “scalpers” or “scalping knives.” If you have never handled one before, you might be surprised at how light and even delicate they are. These are excellent belt knives, for routine cutting and slicing, and should be great for food preparation and as patch cutters. However, these are not “bushcraft” knives. If you expect to be batoning the knife to break up kindling, or using it for any kind of prying or rough work, you’ll want to get some sort of “camp knife” as a backup.

There are other knifemakers on this forum who have shown some beautiful knives, but I don’t own examples of their work so will let others comment.

Good luck in your search!

Notchy Bob

I have an English trade “scalper” from Kyle Willyard/Old Dominion Forge, and would recommend his work very highly, both for authenticity and quality. I’m pretty sure he still makes these within your price range. I don’t think he is a member of this forum, but he has a really nice website with all of his products pictured and described.

I would also strongly recommend contacting @Runewolf1973 right here on this forum. If he does not check in on this thread, you can easily find him with a search. Runewolf made an English scalper for me that has everything you want in a high quality, authentic reproduction.

Another master cutler on this forum is @tallpine . I don’t specifically remember seeing an English trade knife of the type you want from his shop, but it would not hurt to ask. Tallpine copied an original handmade trapper’s knife for me, from a picture and description in a book. It is an exact replica, the spirit and image of the original, and the quality of his workmanship is first-rate.

I would like to point out that the original English trade knives of the type pictured in post #1 were classed as “scalpers” or “scalping knives.” If you have never handled one before, you might be surprised at how light and even delicate they are. These are excellent belt knives, for routine cutting and slicing, and should be great for food preparation and as patch cutters. However, these are not “bushcraft” knives. If you expect to be batoning the knife to break up kindling, or using it for any kind of prying or rough work, you’ll want to get some sort of “camp knife” as a backup.

There are other knifemakers on this forum who have shown some beautiful knives, but I don’t own examples of their work so will let others comment.

Notchy Bob
Hey thanks for all the info! Yeah I reached out to OldDominionForge, and have not heard back. I may have gotten his email mixed up I’m not sure. I will keep pushing though. Yeah this knife will be strictly for cutting: patches, food stuffs, and other small softer materials. If don’t hear from him, after another week or so I’ll reach out to those forum members. Thank you.

Notchy Bob
I have a 'hawk from old dominion forge for about 25 years..still going strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back