• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Does a jug choke effect round ball accuracy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have any personal experience, but that never stopped anyone here from commenting.

I've heard that the jug choke doesn't effect round ball shooting. But keep in mind you're still shooting a smoothbore. They are the ultimate challenge to shoot nice groups.

I'd change one thing at a time; bare ball, patched ball, over powder wads, over shot wads, chewed balls, different diameter ball, powder charge and grade.

That'll keep you busy a while. 😁
Let us know how you come out.

You will get differing opinions on that. Some claim their jug choke gun shoots ball just fine while others say the opposite. Guns are individuals and two identical jug chokes smoothbores won't necessarily shoot the same.

If the jug choke is properly done….. no. It will shoot round ball great.
This is 3 .75 balls at 25yds, shot load at 50 yds. Probably farther than you’d shoot, but it works.
ADB58A81-114C-4030-BE88-8CA8BAD21240.jpeg
FEB4F61A-E7A2-468C-BA39-C5D12CF3C0CC.jpeg

Thanks and very interesting. On a good day I get 5" at 50yds. Most days its 8" with a flier in 5 shots, usually not on the 2' wide target. Using .535 ball with very thick patch is most consistantly accurate. Patched 56 cal balls are usually worst with patch or not. Strange

Try a thin card on top of the powder, then some sort of lubed soft wad (felt or small ball of tow, if tow isn't available shredded jute rope will work), then the ball, then another thin card to hold it in.
Maybe the increased diameter of the bore, then constricting back to bore diameter us messing with how the patch is wrapped around the ball?

I found that I had to use a technique I call the jug choke jam. I get the ball barely started then hit it hard with the butt end of my kabar so that the patch won't slip around the ball as it goes through the jug choke and it hurts when I miss and get my finger!

My 12ga fowler is jug choked, I bough a .690 mold first, the group size wasn't that great, I bought a Tanner .700 and found that is what my gun liked.

This is the difference at 25 yards, both 90 gr of 1F, .020 patch. The Xed out holes are from another gun. I have a rear sight on my fowler.

The picture date stamp is off about 10 years.

fowler small size ball target.jpg

Back