• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

David Crockett's rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There's a website (archive.org) that makes available an incredible assortment of local histories that can be downloaded in their original form. I ran across one such book called "Life and Reminiscences of William G. Johnston". Johnston was born at Pittsburgh, PA in 1828 and his book, published in 1901, contains great descriptions of life in that city during its earliest period. He describes, for example the disassembly of Ft. Pitt and the use of the bricks for houses, including the one where he was born.

He mentions that Pittsburgh was a stopping point for many famous persons who were traveling either East or West and, when his father heard that the famous Davy Crockett was stopping there on his way home after serving in Congress he took six year old William to a tavern to meet Crockett. Here's Johnston's description:

Shortly before my sixth birthday, it was my good fortune
to see one who in the annals of Western life will ever
hold a conspicuous place,””David Crockett...........

When I saw him he was on his way to his home in Tennessee, after serving two terms in
Congress, and having just made a tour through New
England, visiting the principal Eastern cities, and receiving
marked attention at the hands of many eminent
men. It was on the afternoon of a Sunday in the early
part of July, 1834, that I saw him. My father had
learned of his arrival by stage on the evening previous,
and took me to see him at his stopping-place, a tavern
at the corner of Market and Second Streets,........

Entering the large apartment used for the double
purpose of barroom and gentlemen’s parlor, we found
Crockett seated near a window conversing with a group
of citizens, who, either through curiosity, or from a desire
to pay their respects to the renowned visitor, had
called.
In the chimney-corner, near where he sat, stood a fine
rifle, of which he was proud. It was a present from
some Philadelphians, and had been made specially to
order for his use, and in such fashion as met his desires.
Doubtless it was the same weapon which about two years
later””March, 1836””Crockett used with such terrible
execution in the Alamo at San Antonio..........

"Life and Reminiscences of William G. Johnston"
Pittsburgh, 1901, pp. 46-47.

Stimulates interest. I googled the topic. Seems David had several rifles, which is understandable. His first one was a .48 caliber rifle, and the others were fancier and a lot more ornate. One of his rifles apparently is at the Alamo Museum, maybe "Old Betsy," but not the one at the Alamo. Most of his rifles were .40 caliber.

An interesting subject.

Interesting post, but I suspect it is more of a recollection of his father's memory of the event than of the son's.

How many of us have detailled memories of anything at age 5.

Certainly not me.

Interesting, none the less.

According to the curator's office at The Shrine, COL Crockett traded off his percussion rifle in AR on the way to Texas & took a flinter (and a rather "plain Jane" rifle, from what I've heard) to Bejar & that is the rifle that he used "to excellent effect" during The Siege.

yours, satx

This thread needs a photo.....
scan0002-2.jpg

Too bad that is in a bank vault and not on display somewhere.
I wonder how many of us looking at that rifle and not knowing its history would date it at pre-1836?
I wouldn't.

I would disagree with you 54 ball. The back action lock has been in use a lot longer than most today know. This rifle was considered "cutting edge technology" back in the early 1830's.

I have seen that rifle as the one presented to Crockett in a number of different places. There seems little, if any, doubt to its authenticity.
One description described the rifle as being flintlock, but the same source named David Bowie as one of the Alamo. Was there a Major Tom there?

Latest posts

Back