• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cylinder gap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of my Italian colt replicas have 0.000 in. gap as the spring loaded hand never releases forward tension until the hammer falls, allowing varying gaps. I would call it spring loaded slop instead of gap. That said, they all work just as Samuel Colt intended

A "gap" is a measurable, constant opening. Since the Colt open-top platform cap guns don't have a bushing or gas ring, a better "revolver " term might be "endshake". Endshake is the amount of fore and aft cylinder movement.
I set all these platforms up with a .0025" - .003" endshake. It keeps the revolver clean and makes for a more efficient revolver.

Mike

Mike,

I may have heard (I'm older now) that once goonerized one shouldn't have to open up the innards for cleaning? Is that what you mean by keeps it clean?? I'm guilty of not opening up stuff I don't know how to fix so I have not cleaned much inside my revolvers.

Mike,

I may have heard (I'm older now) that once goonerized one shouldn't have to open up the innards for cleaning? Is that what you mean by keeps it clean?? I'm guilty of not opening up stuff I don't know how to fix so I have not cleaned much inside my revolvers.
That ought to be worth at least 11 pages. o_O

Mike,

AZ, gotcha covered

Hey, you heard right!! Definitely if there's an action shield!! Just clean the barrel and cylinder as normal. Wipe down the frame and you'll be good to go.
Thanks!

I have two 1858s the standard model is pretty tight but the bison has a larger gap and the cylinder pin gets dirty quickly.

I have two 1858s the standard model is pretty tight but the bison has a larger gap and the cylinder pin gets dirty quickly.

The Remingtons, I leave alone. I don't do barrel setbacks. The best fouling "mitigation" for them seems to be what Colt used which is a "fouling groove" on the arbor. This radial groove is in line with the cyl face and it allows the fouling to bypass the cyl / base pin intersection before being deflected outward. I enhance that groove by adding 4 short, L to R, linear grooves that lead to a reduced diameter section of the base pin. The reduced diameter pin idea came from the ROA. I think it was an early fouling remedy that was just left in the design since it has a gas ring to deflect fouling.

20221115_145031.jpg

Grease it up and shoot all day!

Mike

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back