• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CVA

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huntermiller

32 Cal
Reaction score
I would appreciate any info you guys have. I got this gun off my dad that got it from his uncle but dad doesn't know a lot about it. I believe it to be a "mountain rifle". I would love to get it back into working condition how hard is it to find parts?
1000003774.jpg
1000003775.jpg
1000003769.jpg
1000003768.jpg
1000003771.jpg

What I can see is that it needs a flint (wrapped in leather) in the jaws of the lock, two wedges and a ramrod.

What is needed to make the rifle operational?

Deer Creek has lots of parts for the CVA/Traditions line of muzzle loaders.

https://www.deercreekproducts.net/
Also front lock screw, washer, and front ramrod thimble. Deer Creek will have what you need. How's the bore look ?

If the bore is ok it's a good gun. Some may tell you that CVAs are cheap, not very well made guns but I have several CVAs (no CVA flintlocks though) ], and though they are not fancy and were lower priced than some others they can shoot as well as their competitors. Enjoy it!

It also looks like there is a crack in the stock between the lock screws. It doesn’t look too bad. I’m sure it can be easily fixed.

I shoot a modified CVA Mountain Rifle with the original lock and have no problems with it. Eric Bye, in his book on flintlocks says that he has not had any issues with the CVA locks, despite what others say. The crack can be fixed with thinned super glue. You should be able to get what you need from Deer Creek CVA Mountain Rifle Parts

Here's mine, which did not come with a patch box. I also took the rear trigger off and moved the front trigger back 1/4" or so. You should take the lock apart and polish the bearing surfaces; it makes a world of difference in trigger pull.

Attachments

• Deer_Creek_Right.JPG
    Deer_Creek_Right.JPG
    253.5 KB · Views: 0
Fantastic barrels on those. The locks are just ok, the rest of the stuff is fine. My St Louis Hawken was dead nuts on at 25 from the first shot. .490 ball with 60 gr 2F.

Thank you guys for the help I'll check them out. The bore seems to be good but wanna get it checked with a bore scope. I would like to get a new lock and trigger because apparently my dad's uncle took a spring out of it so the set trigger doesn't work and I noticed the lock seems to be a little messed up.

Back