• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Country Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harddog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is a horn I just finished. It is what I call a country horn. It is made with a scraped finish and some imperfections have been intentionaly left on the horn. Noticeably a worm hole, (see picture), that doesn't go all the way through the horn. There is a crack at the buttplug end that I have sealed so the horn is waterproof, but, in after thought, I am thinking I will make a small flat staple and mount it over the crack so as to look like a period repair. THe horn is a mid 19th to early 20th century style horn. Perhaps a civil war period horn. It is a right hand carry and is 11 inches long with a slightly domed white pine buttplug. The horn has been dyed to acheive the yellow and green coloring.

Randy Hedden

countryhorn1.jpg

countryhorn2.jpg

countryhorn3.jpg

countryhorn4.jpg

:bow: You've done it again! That's a great looking horn :hatsoff:
Soggy

Harddog

What can I say....I like it! Simple yet elegant.

About the staple repair you mentioned....It's better to seal the crack the best you can and pin it on both sides rather than staple to keep it from spreading apart further.
Thick copper wire works good for this and looks very PC.

What features of the horn would make it a late 19th century horn? I can't tell the difference between your's and one a longhunter would carry.

CWC said:
What features of the horn would make it a late 19th century horn? I can't tell the difference between your's and one a longhunter would carry.

CWC,

I am just going by all the different time period original horns I have seen. Earlier horns tend to be longer and with more white surface on the horn. I believe a "longhunter horn" would be much longer and bigger than this horn. This horn is just not typical of horns from the 18th century.

Randy Hedden

Back