• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

BP pistols for self defence

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey All,

Just something I've been thinking about lately is the effectiveness of BP pistols in self defence both on two legged and four legged attackers. Obviously smokeless cartriges have more power and modern automatics have more capacity but BP pistols were used for a long time for personal defence with deadly results. I've tried to find ballistics charts for a variety of BP pistol loads but the only one I can find any info on is around cap and ball revolvers in .44 cal. According to the info I saw the .44 cap n' ball has ballistic performance similar to a .38 special with a standard load. Forensic articals on wounds from the same pistol place it on level with the .45 acp. I wonder about the many smaller percussion pistols so common during the 19th century. I have a New Orleans Ace in .45. Max load is around 20 grains. It makes a hell of a boom but I have no clue about velocity or foot pounds pressure. I am also interested in getting the Snake Eyes and Twister pistol from Classic Arms but I would like them to have some practical use and not just be a pricy pea shooter. Opinions? Let me know what you think.

I used to keep a 1851 .36 Navy Colt or .31 Colt 1849 pocket pistol beside the bed and felt "secure" for home defense, I no longer have any pistols so now have a 12 gauge double barreled short coach gun cartridge shotgun loaded with 00 buckshot instead, I would seriously go for a revolver for practical home protection with a ML gun, even the small cals. will do the job up close and you won't have all your eggs in one or two baskets(shots)

For protection if you realy think you need it I would keep a 357 mag. or the shot gun like tg said. I took a CCW class and think it should be mandatory for ever one if you have not taken one look into it.I have a bunch of bp guns I hunt with and enjoy just shooting but not for defence. Rocky

Don: Aside from agreening with the other posts above, I'll give my opnion (as usual).

IMO Classic Arms guns make interesting wall hangers and they make loud sounds. Aside from that, I wouldn't put any faith in them to do anything.

I have heard but do not know for a fact, that in the state of Missouri their handgun laws are rather prohibitive and because they they are classified "Antiques/relics", Black Powder Revolvers are easily obtainable, so there are a lot of people who rely on them for home defense.

If true, based on the number of people killed in that area by cap and ball revolvers before the Civil War started (slavery issues between Missuori and Arkansas were hotly debated one might say) the continued use of them seems rather fitting.
smile.gif

I've only recently started shooting with my 1860 Army .44 (I usually shoot a 9mm Ruger), but, based on my limited experience, I would say that the .44 would be an excellent self-defense weapon.

Not that I can hit anything with it yet -- but by the time I fire three shots in rapid succession, I have such a dense wall of smoke between myself and my antagonist that I could probably turn around and walk away without being seen.
wink.gif

Morrisy(spelling?),

I've been researching the ballistics of .44 cap n' ball revolvers a little and have found that loaded light(25 grains) they are comperable to .38 S&W or .32 long colt. When a max load is used(35 grains) they are on par with a .38 special. I read one account on the net where a fella max loaded with 777 powder and got ballistics on par with a .45 acp. This would make these guns nothing to laugh at if you were an intruder in someones home. Although they don't have the capacity of modern fire arms or the ease of reloading, they would be handy in the woods if you were likely to run into an over inquisative coyote or small bear.

Paper ballistics do not count for much with large bore handguns. I can assure you the 44 rb is a much superior stopping round than a 38 spec. Good friend of mine shot a nice 6 point with a Colt type. Ball went through chest cavity and out other side at 20yrd. I would add however, that if a life or death situation you want a modern centerfire gun, not a percussion or even a modern rimfire. If your life depends on your weapon, it is no time to be PC or take an unnecessary risk.

Your advise is sound about the modern guns for self protection, but for several years when I shot them on a regular basis I felt completely confident of the outcome had I met intruders with a .36 Navy in one hand and a .31 pocket pistol in the other....but the curreny mode being a shortbarreled double 12 centerfire with buckshot is hard to beat I suspect it would cut a rather wide swath should the unwanted guests be in a group.

IMO just looking down a Pi..ed off 12 gauge double barrel will change the mind of anyone not high on drugs!
Just make sure the blast doesn't knock them back thru the front door into the yard. That makes it hard to proove they were in your house when the law gets there.

Back