• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Bag & Horn Set

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harddog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Here is a bag & horn set I recently completed. The bag is tapestry and leather lined with heavy weight green checked material.THe horn is a southern style horn with a beehive type buttplug and an applied antler spout tip.

Randy Hedden

countrybag1.jpg

countrybag2.jpg

countrybag3.jpg

Nice work... I like that horn...

Makes my work look REALLY primitive... :rotf:

Legion

Both are real beauts! I'll jump on the bandwagon and also say how much I like the southern horn (of which I've always been kinda partial to). Real nice work

What exactly defines a southern horn? I notice there is a more elongated shape to the back of the horn. Heck I didn't even know there were different styles or regional differences in powderhorn! It looks sharp!

Bunyan said:
What exactly defines a southern horn? I notice there is a more elongated shape to the back of the horn. Heck I didn't even know there were different styles or regional differences in powderhorn! It looks sharp!

Bunyan,

I am not sure that one can define a typical southern horn. They did come in various styles. What makes the one I have shown a southern horn is the extended beehive style buttplug and the applied antler spout tip. Also, this style of horn usually did not have any scrimshaw work done to them. Southern horns of this type "usually" were curved, but didn't have much twist to them although some did seem to have curve and a small amount of twist, but not to the extent that one would see on an F&I war lobed horn.

In short, horns were made in many different styles and shapes depending on the time period as well as the geographic area the horn was made.

Randy Hedden

Bunyan said:
What exactly defines a southern horn?

It was made south of the Mason-Dixon line. :rotf:

Loblolly or live-oak buttplug? Lack of maple anywhere? Barbecue sauce or deep-fry oil stained fingerprints? It is scrimshawed with a large number and the letters "NASCAR" :rotf:

Beautiful work Harddog. Very nice set. :thumbsup:

Back