• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Apple wood Handle on a hawk?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl Crawford

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a small tomahawk with a hickory handle. I got the head and handle a few years ago from Dixons. I can post pics of it later.
I wanted to lengthen the handle a bit, have a less tapered handle, and so I thought to try some fairly straight apple branches that were cut and drying for the last 4-5 months. Has anyone tried using apple wood as a handle before?
This is not for throwing, it is a hand tool.

They all break eventually, anyway.
Not the ones that stay on the shelf! :)

Kidding aside, I agree. Why not try it?

The bigger issues are the integrity of the particular piece you select and the grain orientation.

Riven (split along the grain) is better than sawn or turned, and orient the grain so the grain lines are paralell to the direction of chop.

If you are using a branch, the above may not apply; you'll probably have the pith as the center of your handle & concentric circles of grain.

I'm using branches. Got one pealed and partially sanded. Working a second. I have 2 other backups.
Barking them, scraping off the cambium layer, then chasing rings so that it fits. I'll keep working the pieces tomorrow night and get a picture or two when I have some progress.

I’ve made handles from wild cherry, dogwood, and post oak. They did not stand up well to throwing but serviced well for chopping. In each case I replaced them with hickory after a couple of year but they were still serviceable, except the dog wood that I gave away with the hawk to a friend,

Certainly worth a try, depending on the size of the branches it may not be strong enough.
Smaller branches are comprised mostly of sapwood which is not as dense as heartwood.

Not the same thing but for what it's worth...I've used seasoned apple for making spoons. It is some of the hardest, most difficult to carve when dry, of all the woods I've ever used. My guess is, if you let it truly season, it should be durable enough to serve your purposes.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

One handle made. I wanted to experiment with a bit of curve. Three more pieces drying in the shed to experiment with a 19" straight handle.
This curved handle is 18" and handles some chopping. Going to let it rest then put finish on it later. Think I will oil soak the end to swell it for a real tight fit.

Attachments

• 20220714_100954.jpg
    20220714_100954.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220714_101018.jpg
    20220714_101018.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220714_101227.jpg
    20220714_101227.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 0
I can understand wanting a longer handle, but as far as less tapered I dunno. The way the head is designed the handle needs to fit down through the top of the head and wedge into place and the taper is there for a reason, so you're stuck with the dimensions of the eye hole on the bottom of the hawk head. I suppose you could make sure it's straight and untapered from there but you won't gain much.

I have used apple wood for many years for making tent poles, lodge poles, walking sticks, and handles. I have found them hold up well.

Latest posts

Back