• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Acceptable Weight Variations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kren1100

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello all,

The last couple of days I've been casting Lee REAL bullets for my .54 flinter. The mold says 380 grains, but I'm getting more like 370. My question is, what is an acceptable weight variance for casting these when working up a hunting load (100 yard max range)? I cast two groups of 50 a couple days apart. The first group I got 41 bullets with about a 2 grain variance, between 366-368. The other 9 were anywhere from 364 to 372 or so. On my second group 38 bullets were within 3 grains of each other, between 369 grains and 372. The other 12 were within the 366-268 range. Would the 6 grain variance among the majority of the lot cause much difference? Again, these will be hunting bullets, not for comp.

Tough call.
My opinion is Yes, 6grn's will matter.
But then you say they are "hunting bullets",, which opens another topic.
With those big SOB's, +/- 2grn would be a minimum for me

p.s. i learned long ago that the REAL didn't work for me, and found round ball to be much more accurate and in 54cal to be perfect for black bear and deer.
Do you have a "fast twist" flinter?
Are you going to hunt Grizzly or Elk in California with a full lead REAL?

Last edited:
When I cast bullets for my Sharps the bullets weigh 527 grains and casting a warm mold I can hold -/+ one grains for a hundred bullets, I would want my hunting bullets to be as good. The weight is dependent on the alloy so a softer alloy will make heavier bullet then a hard alloy.

p.s. i learned long ago that the REAL didn't work for me, and found round ball to be much more accurate and in 54cal to be perfect for black bear and deer.
Do you have a "fast twist" flinter?
Are you going to hunt Grizzly or Elk in California with a full lead REAL?
Technically no, because CA is lead free only, even in traditional sidelocks - but maybe for an out of state hunt...That said, I do have some lead free roundballs cast up that I'm still testing.

OK, then refine your question(s). Folks here can help, honest. There is ton's of experience here that loves sharing.
I meant know rudeness, only to understand.
If there are +/- 6grn,, then it's most likely an issue of the casting rhythm, it's part of learning ✌️

OK, then refine your question(s). Folks here can help, honest. There is ton's of experience here that loves sharing.
I meant know rudeness, only to understand.
If there are +/- 6grn,, then it's most likely an issue of the casting rhythm, it's part of learning ✌️
No offense taken, but the general point of the question is valid. Does a 6 grain variance make much of difference? Sounds like it may. I'll cast up some more tomorrow and see where they sit.

Just remember, there is the cast.
Then there is "casting". It's becomes an actual job,, it's about representative timing of motion, labor.
I call it a casting session, and I can only do it for about an hour before I have to take a break (I'm getting old)
reset, then give it another hour,,,,

Just remember, there is the cast.
Then there is "casting". It's becomes an actual job,, it's about representative timing of motion, labor.
I call it a casting session, and I can only do it for about an hour before I have to take a break (I'm getting old)
reset, then give it another hour,,,,
Yeah, I'm recovering from an injury so I can only work at it for so long. And to answer an earlier question, my barrel is a 1:55 twist. I've heard people have success and no success on both sides of the twist spectrum.

Back